1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining length of highway deceleration ramp, with friction

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "At the base of a hill (blah blah) there is a ramp inclined with an angle of 30 degrees and has a surface with a coefficient of friction of 1.5. How long should this ramp be to be able to stop a 80,000lb truck traveling at 80 mph"

2. Relevant equations
    (delta)K + (delta)U = -fk * d (K is kinetic energy, U is potential energy, fk is friction force)

fk = u*n (u is frictional coefficient)

3. The attempt at a solution

set Ki. = Uf + fk*d (having fk be positive, since you'd be subracting a negative anyway, right?) Ki = initial K.E., Uf = final P.E.)

(1/2) m v^2 = m g h + u n d (u is frict. coefficient, n is normal force, d is distance or hypotenuse of triangle, h is height.)

for the normal force I got n = m g cos(30)
    and h = d sin(30)
    {both of the above just using trig}

so (1/2) m v^2 = m g d sin(30) + u m g cos(30) d
    m's cancel out
    (1/2) v^2 = g d sin(30) + u g d cos(30)
    solve for d
    d = (v^2) / [g(sin(30) + u cos(30))]

plugging in v = 35.8 m/s (80 mph)
    g = 9.8 m/s^2
    u = 1.5

gives 72.7 meters. I don't have much faith in this answer. Can I do Ki. = Uf + fk*d for this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2
    Since it's giving you the coefficient of friction, I think that you'd want to use this equation to solve the problem:

Solve for [tex]x-x_0[/tex]

Figure out [tex]a[/tex]

[tex]a=-g(\sin{\theta}+\mu \cos{\theta})[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{v^2-v_0^2}{2a}=\frac{v_0^2}{2 g(\sin{\theta}+\mu \cos{\theta})}[/tex]
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?