Determining light intensity with a mirror

In summary: The intensity of the secondary source is 3 intensity units away, which would be 1.5 intensity units. So the total intensity from both sources would be 2.5 intensity units.
digitaljeff

Homework Statement

You put a point source of light (S) a distance (d) in front of screen (A). How is the light intensity at the center of the screen changed if you put a completely reflecting mirror (M) a distance (d) behind the source?

M-----d-----S-----d-----A

Homework Equations

I=Power/Area ??

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer it is giving in the book is 10/9 of the original intensity but i have no clue at all how to get this.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you put the mirror in place, the image constitutes a second source in addition to the original one. How far from the screen is this second source? How does intensity depend on distance?

i would think intensity in this case would be power/distance, so S/d originally. then with the mirror S/d + S/2d ... am i on the right track??

No. Answer me this, if you double the distance between the source and the screen, by what factor is the intensity on the screen reduced?

kuruman said:
No. Answer me this, if you double the distance between the source and the screen, by what factor is the intensity on the screen reduced?

decreases by the square of the distance from the source?? i think.. just re-reading my textbook trying to figure it out

digitaljeff said:
decreases by the square of the distance from the source?? i think.. just re-reading my textbook trying to figure it out
Correct. Now call the original screen-to-source distance one "unit". How many "units" is the image-to-source distance?

image to source would be 2 units, so intensity would be decreased by a factor of 4 for the light comming from the image on the screen compared to light comming from the source on the screen? .. argh sorry if I am clueless..

Two units is the mirror-to-source distance. The image is behind the mirror by an additional how many units?

kuruman said:
Two units is the mirror-to-source distance. The image is behind the mirror by an additional how many units?

argh forgot about the whole "virtual" image thing..

virtual image to screen would be 3 units ... as source to mirror is 1 unit.. then virtual image to mirror another 1 unit.. then 1 unit to screen..

sooo..

3 units from virtual image to screen... 1 unit from source to screen..?

Correct. So if the intensity of the primary source to the screen is "1" intensity unit, what is the intensity of the secondary source that is 3 distance units away?

1. What is the purpose of using a mirror to determine light intensity?

The purpose of using a mirror to determine light intensity is to reflect the light onto a surface where it can be measured. This allows for a more accurate and precise measurement of the light intensity.

2. How does a mirror affect the measurement of light intensity?

A mirror can increase the intensity of light by reflecting it onto a smaller area, thus concentrating the light and making it appear brighter. However, it can also decrease the intensity if the mirror is not positioned correctly and reflects the light away from the measuring device.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of using a mirror to determine light intensity?

The accuracy of using a mirror to determine light intensity can be affected by the quality and cleanliness of the mirror, the angle at which the light is reflected, and any obstructions or shadows that may interfere with the reflected light.

4. Can different types of mirrors produce different results when determining light intensity?

Yes, different types of mirrors can produce different results when determining light intensity. For example, a concave mirror will focus the light onto a specific point, while a flat mirror will reflect the light in the same direction it came from.

5. What is the recommended method for determining light intensity with a mirror?

The recommended method for determining light intensity with a mirror is to use a high-quality, clean mirror at a 45-degree angle to the light source. The reflected light should then be measured with a light meter or other measuring device to get an accurate reading of the light intensity.