1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining perpendicular planes

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    Determine whether the planes are perpindicular

(-2, 1, 4) . (x-1, y, z+3) = 0 (PLANE A)
    (1, -2, 1) . (x+3, y-5, z) = 0 (PLANE B)

Here's what I have figured out so far:

Plane A passes through (1,0,-3) and is perpendicular to (-2,1,4)
    Plane B passes through (-3, 5, 0) and is perpendicular to (1, -2, 1)

I know that if I had to determine if they were parallel, (1,0,-3) and (-2,1,4) would have to be along the lines of (-1, 2, 4) and (2, -4, -8).

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track and missing something right in front of me, or completely lost altogether.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't the definition of two planes being perpendicular that their normal vectors are perpendicular?
  4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Yes I'm sure, but I'm not sure what the numbers of perpindicular normal vectors look like.

Like, the example of parallel vectors I gave above - I recognize those as being parallel, but I'm not sure how to tell if something is perpendicular unless the vectors are drawn out.
  5. Nov 9, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aren't (-2, 1, 4) and (1, -2, 1) the normal vectors?
  6. Nov 9, 2008 #5
    If they're perpendicular then the angle between then is 90 degrees. Then their dot product is |normal vector 1||normal vector 2|*cos90 = |normal vector 1||normal vector 2|*0 = 0. So they're perpendicular if their dot product is 0.
  7. Nov 10, 2008 #6
    Thanks Dick and JG, it makes sense! I think I was making it harder than it actually was :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?