Determining static equlibrium reactions

In summary, the conversation is about determining the direction of forces and moments in static equilibrium systems. The person is struggling with finding the reactions for the system attachment and is asking for help. They are advised to isolate BCD and analyze it using FBD's of members BC and CD. The person also mentions that they are not familiar with English terminology and may have some discrepancies in their understanding. They also note that their units for force are incorrect. The direction of forces is said to not matter for internal joints as long as they are opposite to each other. The speaker is trying to find the magnitude of the forces and needs to determine the direction for the end points A and D. However, the solution they have been given has some negative numbers that
martix
I'm having trouble getting my head around how to determine the direction of the forces of reaction and of moment/torque in static equilibrium systems.
For example how do I determine the reactions for the system attachment and why are they as they are.

Attachments

• Reaction.png
    Reaction.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
Come on? Cant anyone help me? This ought to be simple, but surprisingly no one knows.

martix said:
Come on? Cant anyone help me? This ought to be simple, but surprisingly no one knows.
Well, not that simple. Try isolating BCD and take FBD's of members BC and CD. Note that there can be no moments at joints B, C, and D. Solve for the reactions at B and D, then analyze AB as a cantilever with a distributed load and concentrated load at the far end. Assume small deflections. Note that your units for F are stated incorrectly, it should be in kN, not kN-m.

I am not familiar with everything the exact English terminology so there may be small discrepancies in what I'm trying to say.
Anyway, didn't notice the F units thing...
Well I do know that the directions do no matter for the internal joints, all that is important is that they are opposite for each joint so as to keep the equilibrium.
The problems I'm trying to solve are usually only about finding the magnitude, they don't involve vector quantities. So that's why I need to determine the direction(i.e. sign in the equilibrium equation) of the forces on the end points. Which for this case are A and D.
But then again - the solution has some negative numbers which don't really make sense to me.
Anyway, thanks.

martix said:
I am not familiar with everything the exact English terminology so there may be small discrepancies in what I'm trying to say.
Anyway, didn't notice the F units thing...
Well I do know that the directions do no matter for the internal joints, all that is important is that they are opposite for each joint so as to keep the equilibrium.
The problems I'm trying to solve are usually only about finding the magnitude, they don't involve vector quantities. So that's why I need to determine the direction(i.e. sign in the equilibrium equation) of the forces on the end points. Which for this case are A and D.
But then again - the solution has some negative numbers which don't really make sense to me.
Anyway, thanks.
I don't know what numbers you are getting because you haven't shown your work, but if you get negative numbers it might just mean that you assumed the wrong direction for the reactions at A and D, or, if the solution was given to you with a negative value, it might just mean that the direction of the force at the end point reaction is down. Perhaps you can visualize that the couple produced by the equal but opposite forces, F, tend to attempt to rotate frame BCD counter clockwise, resulting in a downward reaction at D and an upward reaction at A. Also note that at A, there must be a reactive moment acting at that end point.

Last edited:

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no overall change in the object's motion or position.

2. How do you determine static equilibrium reactions?

To determine static equilibrium reactions, you must first identify all the external forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, using the equations of static equilibrium, you can calculate the magnitude and direction of the reactions at the points where the object is supported.

3. What are the equations of static equilibrium?

The equations of static equilibrium are: ΣFx = 0 (sum of horizontal forces equals zero), ΣFy = 0 (sum of vertical forces equals zero), and ΣM = 0 (sum of moments equals zero).

4. Can the center of gravity be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of gravity can be outside of an object if the object has an irregular shape or if the distribution of mass is not symmetrical.

5. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state where all forces acting on an object are balanced and there is no overall change in motion or position. Dynamic equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to a state where an object is in motion with a constant velocity, meaning that all the forces acting on the object are balanced but the object is still moving.