Determining Surface tension of a liquid with Poiseulle's Law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
rubmail
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi. I am doing a physics project and we have been told by my lecturer to find out how to determine the surface tension of a liquid using Poiseulle's Law and to describe an experiment on how to do so. I have no idea how you could do this because none of the variables in the law relate to surface tension as far as I am aware.


Can you please tell me how one would go about determining the surface tension using Poiseulle's Law and describe an experiment for me. This would really help me. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I can't tell you how to make an experiment to find it but there is definitely a relationship between the viscosity of the fluid and the surface tension. If you could find the viscosity you could potentially find the strength of the attractive force between molecules and could adapt this for a point on the surface.
 
rubmail said:
Hi. I am doing a physics project and we have been told by my lecturer to find out how to determine the surface tension of a liquid using Poiseulle's Law and to describe an experiment on how to do so. I have no idea how you could do this because none of the variables in the law relate to surface tension as far as I am aware.


Can you please tell me how one would go about determining the surface tension using Poiseulle's Law and describe an experiment for me. This would really help me. Thanks

Think about sucking the fluid up in a long straw from a glass, and then measuring how fast the surface moves back down after the suction is released.