1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determination of intermolecular forces using surface tension

1. Dec 7, 2012 #1
    Hi there. I have found the surface tension for liquid etanol on a given problem. Then the problem says: supposing that the coordination number for etanol is 12, what value does the intermolecular interaction energy has?

I have ##\gamma=21,26355\frac{dyna}{cm}##, gamma is the surface tension that I've found.

The coordination number gives the number of molecules around one molecule in the liquid. I think that because the surface tension happens in the interface, the coordination number in there is 12/2=6.

I also know that ##\gamma=F/2l##, I have this in my notes from class. This is what you get by analysing the virtual work by pushing a thin film a ##\Delta x## distance.

##F\Delta x=2l\Delta x \gamma##

PS: I made a mistake in the title, it's not the determination of intermolecular forces, but intermolecular energy.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A quick Google on the subject suggests it will be more than half. I see a couple of places where a bulk number of 6 is presumed to correspond to a surface number of 5. But I couldn't find a general rule or any theoretical basis for the assumption. With optimally stacked spheres, each interior sphere has 12 neighbours, while each on a flat surface would have 9.

4. Dec 7, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your answer. Do you have any idea on how to determine the interaction energy using the surface tension and the coordination number?

5. Dec 7, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's a field I know nothing about, but see if this helps: http://mail.vssd.nl/hlf/d007ch02.pdf

6. Dec 7, 2012 #5
    Thank you very much. I think it will help.

I would need to know how to determinate systematically the coordination number for molecules in the surface. And I would like to know also how to derive the equations (2.4) to (2.8).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook