Determination of intermolecular forces using surface tension

In summary, the surface tension for liquid etanol is ##\gamma=21,26355\frac{dyna}{cm}##, and the interaction energy is ##\gamma=F/2l##.
Telemachus
Hi there. I have found the surface tension for liquid etanol on a given problem. Then the problem says: supposing that the coordination number for etanol is 12, what value does the intermolecular interaction energy has?
I have ##\gamma=21,26355\frac{dyna}{cm}##, gamma is the surface tension that I've found.

The coordination number gives the number of molecules around one molecule in the liquid. I think that because the surface tension happens in the interface, the coordination number in there is 12/2=6.

I also know that ##\gamma=F/2l##, I have this in my notes from class. This is what you get by analysing the virtual work by pushing a thin film a ##\Delta x## distance.

##F\Delta x=2l\Delta x \gamma##

PS: I made a mistake in the title, it's not the determination of intermolecular forces, but intermolecular energy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:
The coordination number gives the number of molecules around one molecule in the liquid. I think that because the surface tension happens in the interface, the coordination number in there is 12/2=6.
A quick Google on the subject suggests it will be more than half. I see a couple of places where a bulk number of 6 is presumed to correspond to a surface number of 5. But I couldn't find a general rule or any theoretical basis for the assumption. With optimally stacked spheres, each interior sphere has 12 neighbours, while each on a flat surface would have 9.

Thanks for your answer. Do you have any idea on how to determine the interaction energy using the surface tension and the coordination number?

Telemachus said:
Do you have any idea on how to determine the interaction energy using the surface tension and the coordination number?
It's a field I know nothing about, but see if this helps: http://mail.vssd.nl/hlf/d007ch02.pdf

Thank you very much. I think it will help.

I would need to know how to determinate systematically the coordination number for molecules in the surface. And I would like to know also how to derive the equations (2.4) to (2.8).

Related to Determination of intermolecular forces using surface tension

What is surface tension and how is it related to intermolecular forces?

Surface tension is the measure of the force that holds the molecules of a liquid together at its surface. It is directly related to the strength of intermolecular forces, as stronger intermolecular forces result in higher surface tension.

How is surface tension measured in order to determine intermolecular forces?

Surface tension can be measured using various techniques such as the drop weight method or the Wilhelmy plate method. These methods involve measuring the force required to distort the surface of a liquid, which can then be used to calculate the surface tension and indirectly determine the strength of intermolecular forces.

What are the different types of intermolecular forces that can be determined using surface tension?

The most commonly studied intermolecular forces using surface tension are hydrogen bonding, dipole-dipole interactions, and London dispersion forces. These forces can be identified and quantified by measuring the surface tension of a liquid under different conditions.

Are there any limitations to using surface tension to determine intermolecular forces?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. Surface tension can be affected by various external factors such as temperature, impurities, and the presence of surfactants. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can also be influenced by experimental errors such as variations in the measuring technique.

What are some applications of determining intermolecular forces using surface tension?

The determination of intermolecular forces using surface tension is important in various fields such as chemistry, material science, and biology. It can help in understanding the properties and behavior of different substances, as well as in the development of new materials and drugs.