Determining the complex expression using Thevnin's theorem

In summary, the conversation was about the application of Thevenin's Theorem to establish the expression of Vs/Ve in a complex circuit. The person asking for help was struggling with summing the impedances and applying the theorem correctly. They were advised to provide more information about their attempts and calculations in order for others to provide better guidance. Thevenin's Theorem is a method for simplifying complex circuits to an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and series resistance.
Lilah
I tried my best but I wasn't able to solve this can someone please provide me with a detailed solution.
Here 's the question : Establish the expression of Vs/Ve (complex) using Thevnin's theorem
Here is the circuit :

mini_772946881.jpg

I spent 4 hours trying to solve this but I had no clue how. I'am having problems summing the impedances and knowing where exactly to apply thevnin.A little guidance is appreciated. Thanks,Thevenin’s Theorem states that it is possible to simplify any linear circuit, no matter how complex, to an equivalent circuit with just a single voltage source and series resistance connected to a load. More info http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-10/thevenins-theorem/

So I started by giving an equivalent complex circuit since the courant is variable.
And as Thevnin's Th. states we need to remove the load, and then calculate the total impedance. Let's say the load is Vs(t) ( R ) now I need to sum Zc Zc Zr which are nor in parallel nor in series. I tried Kennelly's Transformation and things got even worse.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Lilah, :welcome:
You may have noticed the HW template provided when you started your post. Please use that. It is designed to help you communicate to use those things we need to know in order to help you.
For example, what is Thevnin's theorem? What methods have you tried unsuccessfully for 4 hours?
It could be possible that you have made mistakes in your calculations or your are incorrectly applying the theorem. Without you telling us what you do know, it is difficult for us to provide useful guidance.
Thank you.

1. What is Thevnin's theorem?

Thevnin's theorem is a method used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits into a single equivalent circuit. It states that any linear circuit can be represented by an equivalent voltage source, called the Thevnin voltage, and an equivalent resistance, called the Thevnin resistance.

2. How do you determine the Thevnin voltage?

The Thevnin voltage is determined by calculating the open-circuit voltage at the output terminals of the circuit. This means that all independent sources are turned off and the voltage at the output terminals is measured.

3. How do you calculate the Thevnin resistance?

The Thevnin resistance is calculated by removing all independent sources from the circuit and finding the equivalent resistance between the output terminals. This can be done using various methods such as series and parallel combinations, as well as Thevnin's theorem itself.

4. What is the purpose of using Thevnin's theorem?

The main purpose of using Thevnin's theorem is to simplify complex circuits into a single equivalent circuit, which can make analysis and calculations much easier. It is also useful in designing and troubleshooting circuits, as it provides a clearer understanding of the behavior of the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using Thevnin's theorem?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using Thevnin's theorem. It only applies to linear circuits, which means that it cannot be used for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes and transistors. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, and does not take into account any transient effects. Additionally, it may not be accurate for circuits with multiple frequencies or for circuits with mutual inductance.