1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the derivative of an integral

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given: the integral from 0 to infinity of t^(x)e^(-t)dt
    Problem: Determine f'(x).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My teacher mentioned using the definition of a derivative:
    f'(a)= limit as x approaches a of f(x)-f(a)/(x-a).

So far I have: f'(a)=the integral of the limit as x approaches a of t^(x)e^(-t)-t^(a)e^(-t)/(x-a) dt.

I'm not sure where to go from here, or if thats even correct. I think it should end up being f'(x)=t^(x)e^(-t) which makes sense to me. I'm just not sure how to actually get there.

Thank you to all.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the Leibniz rule for differentiation of an integral. If you actually want to do the resulting integral, you'll need to use a gamma function, but maybe you can just give the answer in terms of another integral.

4. Nov 28, 2009 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I don't quite understand this. What's the x in t^(x)e^(-t)dt? Is it just a constant?

Anyhow, the integral from 0 to infinity of that function should be a constant, like 2 or 2.313. Deriving a constant gives you 0.

5. Nov 28, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Changing the value of x changes the value of the integral. Try x=0, x=1, etc. It's not a constant.

6. Nov 28, 2009 #5

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Oh. Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook