Find FT of Function: Solution & Explanation

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the integral of the function H(f) can be simplified to k times the delta function divided by 2. However, this simplified equation does not hold true when taking the inverse Fourier transform, as something is lost in the simplification process. This can be seen by comparing it to the integral of the function g(x) multiplied by the exponential function, which is not equal to g(0).
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
I will post a print
Relevant Equations
1620972236138.png

I need to find the FT of this function. Here is my attempt:

$$H(f) = \int_{0}^{\infty} ke^{-2 \pi i f t}dt$$

We know that ##\delta(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{2 \pi i f t} df##, the part with sin in this integration vanish, so that, and knowing that cos is a even function, we can write ##\delta(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{2 \pi i f t} df = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2 \pi i f t} df##.

Now, for example, ##\int_{-a}^{a}x^2 = 2\int_{0}^{a}x^2##. So we can write the delta above as ##\delta(t) = \int_{\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2 \pi i f t} df = 2\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-2 \pi i f t} df##.

Putting this in the first formula $$H(f) = \int_{0}^{\infty} ke^{-2 \pi i f t}dt$$:

##H(f) = \int_{0}^{\infty} ke^{-2 \pi i f t} dt = k \delta(f) /2##

This make sense or you? Is it right?

• Skeptical
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
Is it right?
One possible check is to do the inverse FT. That would give you a constant function, so: no !
Something got lost on the way...

##\ ##

Likes Delta2
Herculi said:
Now, for example, ##\int_{-a}^{a}x^2 = 2\int_{0}^{a}x^2##. So we can write the delta above as ##\delta(t) = \int_{\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2 \pi i f t} df = 2\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-2 \pi i f t} df##.

Is
$$
\int_{-a}^a x\, dx = 2 \int_0^a x\, dx?
$$

Likes Delta2
I think your confusion is they ##\delta(t)## is a thing that needs to be integrated again in order to get the function value. So

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(x) \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{2\pi i x t} dt dx= g(0)$$

But
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(x) e^{2\pi i x t} dx \neq g(0)$$

This latter integral is just a multiple of the inverse Fourier transform of g.

1. What is the Fourier Transform (FT) of a function?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It is used to represent a function in terms of its frequency components, providing a way to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain.

2. How do you find the FT of a function?

To find the FT of a function, you can use the Fourier Transform formula, which involves integrating the function with respect to frequency. Alternatively, you can use software or online tools that can calculate the FT for you.

3. What is the purpose of finding the FT of a function?

The purpose of finding the FT of a function is to better understand the frequency components of the function and how they contribute to the overall behavior of the function. It is also useful for signal processing and data analysis, as it allows for easier manipulation and filtering of signals in the frequency domain.

4. Can you explain the steps involved in finding the FT of a function?

The steps involved in finding the FT of a function include defining the function, determining the frequency range and resolution, using the Fourier Transform formula or a software tool to calculate the FT, and interpreting the results in terms of the frequency components of the function.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the FT of a function?

Yes, there are limitations to finding the FT of a function. The function must be integrable and have a finite energy, and the FT may not exist for certain functions. Additionally, the FT does not provide information about the behavior of a function at specific points, only the overall frequency components.