Determining the flux of an arbitrary vector function

In summary, the speaker is seeking a way to determine if a given function f(v) has a constant Flux on a closed surface, using information such as its potential and divergence. They clarify that the flux of a function over a surface has a specific numerical value.
DarkBabylon
Hello there. I've been working on trying to re-derive a certain physical formula using vector calculus, and came to a conclusion that in order to derive it, I'll need a way to determine the nature of a certain expression.
Specifically:
f(v)·da - v={x1,x2,x3,...,xn} and f(v) returns a vector in the same space of v.
Is there a way to determine if a certain arbitrary function f(v) has a constant Flux, as one would call it, on a closed surface using some other information about f(v) such as its potential (∮f(v)· dv), divergence, etc.?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DarkBabylon said:
if a certain arbitrary function f(v) has a constant Flux,

What flux do you want to be constant? The flux of a given function over a given surface has some numerical value - i.e. it is a constant.

Likes DarkBabylon
Stephen Tashi said:
i.e. it is a constant.
Oh, right. o0) Thanks.

1. What is the definition of flux?

Flux refers to the rate of flow of a vector quantity through a given surface. It is a measure of how much of the vector field is passing through a particular area.

2. How is the flux of an arbitrary vector function determined?

The flux of an arbitrary vector function is determined by calculating the dot product between the vector function and the unit normal vector of the surface it is passing through. This dot product is then integrated over the surface to get the total flux.

3. What is the unit of flux?

The unit of flux is dependent on the units of the vector quantity and the surface area. For example, if the vector quantity is in meters per second and the surface area is in square meters, then the unit of flux would be cubic meters per second.

4. Can flux be negative?

Yes, flux can be negative. A negative flux indicates that the vector field is flowing in the opposite direction of the surface's unit normal vector. This could occur if the surface is curved or if the vector field is changing direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of determining flux?

Determining flux is commonly used in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It can be used to study the flow of fluids through pipes, the flow of electric or magnetic fields through surfaces, and the transfer of heat through different materials.