Determine the flux of the vector field trough the surface

In summary, the task is to determine the flux of a vector field through a surface defined by two boundaries and connected by straight lines. The surface is not a hemisphere and lies in only two octants. To solve this, the integral of the vector field over the surface must be calculated using the gradient of the connecting lines. The limit for the variable y was initially incorrect and has been corrected.
drynada
From my drawings it seems to be half of hemisphere. Am I right? How can I solve this task?

Determine the flux of the vector field $$ f=(x,(z+y)e^x,-xz^2)^T$$ through the surface $Q(u,w)$, which is defined in the follwoing way:

1) the two boundaries are given by $$\delta Q_1=\{(x,y,z):x^2+y^2=1,z=0,y\ge0\}$$ and $$\delta Q_2=\{(x,y,z):x^2+z^2=1,y=0,z\ge0\}$$

2) the points on the two arcs $$\delta Q_1$$ and $$\delta Q_2$$ are connected by straight lines, which are parallel to the plane $$x=0$$

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a hemisphere. There are lines on the surface that are straight, and one cannot draw a straight line on a hemisphere.

Also, the surface lies in only two octants, whereas a hemisphere lies in four of the eight octants. It is a surface that lies over half of the plane ##z=0##.

To solve this, you calculate
$$\int_{0}^1 \int_{-1}^1
\vec f(x,y,g(x,y)) \cdot \vec n(x,y)
\,dx\,dy$$
where ##g(x,y)## is the ##z## coordinate of the point on the surface with ##x,y## coordinates ##(x,y)##; and ##\vec n(x,y)## is the normal to the surface at that point.

Note that, because of the last statement in the OP, ##\vec n(x,y)## is constant over ##y## and can be obtained from the gradient of the line connecting
  • the point on the ring ##\delta Q_2## with specified ##x## coordinate and ##z\geq 0##, to
  • the point on the ring ##\delta Q_1## with the same ##x## coordinate and ##y\geq 0##
The equation of that line can also be used to calculate the ##z## coordinate ##g(x,y)##.

Last edited:
I don't understand, why the limit for y is -1 to 1 and not 0 to 1.

drynada said:
I don't understand, why the limit for y is -1 to 1 and not 0 to 1.
That was an error. I have corrected it.

1. What is meant by "flux" in the context of vector fields?

Flux refers to the amount of flow or movement of a vector field through a given surface. It is a measure of how much of the vector field passes through the surface.

2. How is the flux of a vector field determined?

The flux of a vector field through a surface is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector of the surface, and then integrating this value over the entire surface.

3. What is the significance of determining the flux of a vector field?

Determining the flux of a vector field allows us to understand the amount and direction of flow of the vector field through a given surface. This can be useful in many applications, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.

4. Can the flux of a vector field be negative?

Yes, the flux of a vector field can be negative. This occurs when the vector field is directed opposite to the normal vector of the surface, resulting in a negative dot product and a negative flux value.

5. Are there any real-world examples where determining the flux of a vector field is important?

Yes, there are many real-world applications where determining the flux of a vector field is important. For example, in fluid dynamics, the flux of a velocity field through a surface can help us understand the movement of liquids or gases in a given system. In electromagnetism, the flux of an electric or magnetic field through a surface can help us understand the behavior of charged particles. In heat transfer, the flux of a temperature field through a surface can help us understand the transfer of thermal energy.