1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the maximum number of minority electrons in semiconductor

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

P-type silicon can be doped in the range from 5x1014 cm-3 to 1020 cm-3. Determine the maximum possible number of minority electrons in a neutral P-type region if the device area is limited to AD = 1 cm x 1 cm and the thickness of the P-type region is limited to tP=100 μm. Assume room temperature and full acceptor ionization. ni = 1.02 x 1010 cm-3

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Solution:

$$Maximum\quad concentration\quad of\quad minority\quad carriers\quad is\quad obtained\quad for\quad the\quad minimum\quad doping\quad level:\\ n=\frac { { { n }_{ i } }^{ 2 } }{ { N }_{ A } } =\frac { { (1.02*{ 10 }^{ 10 }) }^{ 2 } }{ 5*{ 10 }^{ 14 } } =2.1*{ 10 }^{ 11 }\quad { m }^{ -3 }\\ The\quad maximum\quad volume\quad is:\\ V={ A }_{ D }{ t }_{ p }={ (0.01) }^{ 2 }(100)({ 1 }0^{ -6 })={ 10 }^{ -8 }\quad { m }^{ 3 }\\ N=nV\\ =2.1*{ 10 }^{ 3 }$$

My confusion is how they got this equation:

$$n=\frac { { { n }_{ i } }^{ 2 } }{ { N }_{ A } }$$

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It follows from the Mass Action Law n*p=ni2. As the acceptors are fully ionized, the concentration of the holes can be taken equal to NA. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_action_law_(electronics)

ehild

4. Sep 17, 2013 #3
    What about holes created because of thermal energy when temperature is larger than 0K?

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Their number is usually negligible with respect to NA.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted