Determining the maximum number of minority electrons in semiconductor

In summary, the maximum concentration of minority carriers in a neutral P-type region is obtained at the minimum doping level, which is calculated using the equation n = (ni)^2/NA. This equation follows from the Mass Action Law and assumes full acceptor ionization at room temperature. The maximum volume of the region is determined by multiplying the device area (AD) by the thickness of the P-type region (tP). As the acceptors are fully ionized, the concentration of holes is taken equal to NA. Any holes created due to thermal energy at room temperature are assumed to be negligible.
Turion

Homework Statement

P-type silicon can be doped in the range from 5x1014 cm-3 to 1020 cm-3. Determine the maximum possible number of minority electrons in a neutral P-type region if the device area is limited to AD = 1 cm x 1 cm and the thickness of the P-type region is limited to tP=100 μm. Assume room temperature and full acceptor ionization. ni = 1.02 x 1010 cm-3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution:

$$Maximum\quad concentration\quad of\quad minority\quad carriers\quad is\quad obtained\quad for\quad the\quad minimum\quad doping\quad level:\\ n=\frac { { { n }_{ i } }^{ 2 } }{ { N }_{ A } } =\frac { { (1.02*{ 10 }^{ 10 }) }^{ 2 } }{ 5*{ 10 }^{ 14 } } =2.1*{ 10 }^{ 11 }\quad { m }^{ -3 }\\ The\quad maximum\quad volume\quad is:\\ V={ A }_{ D }{ t }_{ p }={ (0.01) }^{ 2 }(100)({ 1 }0^{ -6 })={ 10 }^{ -8 }\quad { m }^{ 3 }\\ N=nV\\ =2.1*{ 10 }^{ 3 }$$

My confusion is how they got this equation:

$$n=\frac { { { n }_{ i } }^{ 2 } }{ { N }_{ A } }$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Turion said:
My confusion is how they got this equation:

$$n=\frac { { { n }_{ i } }^{ 2 } }{ { N }_{ A } }$$

It follows from the Mass Action Law n*p=ni2. As the acceptors are fully ionized, the concentration of the holes can be taken equal to NA. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_action_law_(electronics)

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
It follows from the Mass Action Law n*p=ni2. As the acceptors are fully ionized, the concentration of the holes can be taken equal to NA. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_action_law_(electronics)

ehild

What about holes created because of thermal energy when temperature is larger than 0K?

Their number is usually negligible with respect to NA.

ehild

This equation is derived from the law of mass action, which states that the product of the concentration of majority carriers (n or p) and the concentration of minority carriers (p or n) is equal to the square of the intrinsic carrier concentration (ni). In a neutral region, the concentration of majority carriers is equal to the concentration of ionized acceptors (NA), and the concentration of minority carriers is equal to the concentration of ionized donors (ND). Therefore, the equation can be rewritten as:

$$np={n}_{i}^{2}$$

Since we are looking for the maximum concentration of minority carriers, we can assume that the concentration of majority carriers is negligible compared to the concentration of ionized acceptors. Thus, we can approximate the equation as:

$$n\approx\frac{{n}_{i}^{2}}{N_A}$$

This gives us the equation used in the solution:

$$n=\frac{{n}_{i}^{2}}{N_A}$$

1. What is meant by "maximum number of minority electrons" in a semiconductor?

The maximum number of minority electrons in a semiconductor refers to the maximum number of electrons that can exist in the conduction band of the semiconductor as a result of doping with impurities. These electrons are considered minority carriers because they are present in a smaller concentration compared to the majority carriers (electrons or holes).

2. How is the maximum number of minority electrons in a semiconductor determined?

The maximum number of minority electrons in a semiconductor can be determined using the formula n = Nd/2, where n is the maximum number of minority electrons, Nd is the donor concentration (number of impurity atoms) and 2 is the number of electrons contributed by each donor atom. This formula is based on the assumption that all the donor atoms are ionized and contribute one electron each to the conduction band.

3. What factors affect the maximum number of minority electrons in a semiconductor?

The maximum number of minority electrons in a semiconductor is affected by several factors, including the type and concentration of the doping impurity, the temperature, and the presence of other impurities or defects in the semiconductor crystal. Higher doping concentrations or higher temperatures can increase the number of minority electrons, while the presence of impurities or defects can decrease it.

4. Why is it important to determine the maximum number of minority electrons in a semiconductor?

Determining the maximum number of minority electrons in a semiconductor is important for understanding the electrical properties and performance of the semiconductor material. It can help in designing and optimizing electronic devices such as transistors and diodes, which rely on the controlled movement of minority carriers for their operation.

5. How does the maximum number of minority electrons affect the overall conductivity of a semiconductor?

The maximum number of minority electrons in a semiconductor has a significant impact on its overall conductivity. As the number of minority electrons increases, the conductivity of the semiconductor also increases, making it a more efficient conductor of electricity. This is because minority electrons contribute to the overall current flow in the semiconductor, along with the majority carriers (electrons or holes).