Determining the Moment of Inertia about an angle θ to the x axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Perpendicular Axis theorem to solve a problem involving a scalar quantity and inertia in the same plane. It is suggested that considering an axis GH perpendicular to CD may be useful in solving the problem. The conversation concludes with gratitude for the assistance given.
pranjal verma
Homework Statement
Let I be the moment of inertia of a uniform square plate about an axis AB that passes through its centre and is parallel to two of its sides.CD is a line in the plane that passes through the centre of the plate and makes an angle θ with the axis AB as shown in figure. The moment of inertia
of the plate about the axis CD is equal to
Relevant Equations
I[SUB]z[/SUB]= I[SUB]x[/SUB] + I[SUB]y[/SUB](Perpendicular Axis theorem)

• I thought about solving it using components of IAB but since it is a scalar quantity it doesn't seems to be correct .
  • I don't think Perpendicular Axis theorem will work as required Inertia is in the same plane.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 230
Physics news on Phys.org
pranjal verma said:
I don't think Perpendicular Axis theorem will work as required Inertia is in the same plane.
This theorem might be useful. Consider an axis GH that lies in the plane of the square, passes through the center, and is perpendicular to CD.

Likes pranjal verma
TSny said:
This theorem might be useful. Consider an axis GH that lies in the plane of the square, passes through the center, and is perpendicular to CD.
Thank you very much sir for helping me.

Likes TSny

1. What is the moment of inertia about an angle θ to the x axis?

The moment of inertia about an angle θ to the x axis is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion about that specific angle. It takes into account the mass distribution of the object and how it is oriented with respect to the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia about an angle θ to the x axis can be calculated using the formula I = ∫r^2dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to each infinitesimal mass element dm. This integral is typically solved using calculus methods.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia has units of kg*m^2 or lb*ft^2 in the SI and imperial systems, respectively. These units represent the distribution of mass and distance from the axis of rotation, which are crucial in determining the moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia change with respect to the angle θ?

The moment of inertia about an angle θ to the x axis varies depending on the orientation of the object. Generally, the moment of inertia is larger when the object is oriented closer to the axis of rotation, and smaller when it is oriented further away. This is due to the distribution of mass and the effect of this distribution on rotational motion.

5. What is the significance of calculating moment of inertia?

Calculating the moment of inertia about an angle θ to the x axis is important in understanding the rotational behavior of an object. It is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and mechanics, to analyze and predict how objects will rotate under different conditions. It also allows for the design of more efficient and stable structures and machines.