• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Determining the Moment of Inertia about an angle θ to the x axis

Homework Statement
Let I be the moment of inertia of a uniform square plate about an axis AB that passes through its centre and is parallel to two of its sides.CD is a line in the plane that passes through the centre of the plate and makes an angle θ with the axis AB as shown in figure. The moment of inertia
of the plate about the axis CD is equal to
Homework Equations
I[SUB]z[/SUB]= I[SUB]x[/SUB] + I[SUB]y[/SUB](Perpendicular Axis theorem)

• I thought about solving it using components of IAB but since it is a scalar quantity it doesn't seems to be correct .
  • I don't think Perpendicular Axis theorem will work as required Inertia is in the same plane.

Attachments

TSny

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I don't think Perpendicular Axis theorem will work as required Inertia is in the same plane.
This theorem might be useful. Consider an axis GH that lies in the plane of the square, passes through the center, and is perpendicular to CD.

This theorem might be useful. Consider an axis GH that lies in the plane of the square, passes through the center, and is perpendicular to CD.
Thank you very much sir for helping me.