Determining the Probability of a Nuclear Fusion Reaction: Solve Here!

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jim mcjimbers
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In a particular nuclear reaction, a neutron moving at 3.6×105ms−1 has a 70% chance of initiating a nuclear fusion reaction. Which of the following options is a possible probability of a neutron moving at 2.2×105ms−1 initiating the same nuclear reaction?

I wouldn't be asking this if I really didn't know where to start. I don't even know which formula to use or how to begin solving this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Where are the options?
Are there any reactions where you know if the cross-section is higher or lower for higher/lower speeds?
 
mfb said:
Where are the options?
Are there any reactions where you know if the cross-section is higher or lower for higher/lower speeds?

Yeah, the options are
A) 70%
B) 0%
C) 82%
D) 56%