1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the rate law from experimental data

1. Sep 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First question on PDF:
    http://ars-chemia.net/Classes/102/Problem_Sets/Practice Exam for Exam 1 Key.pdf

2. Relevant equations
    I used the initial rates method:
    Rate2/Rate1=k2*[A]^m/k1*[A]^m

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I solve these types of problems with the initial rates method, I get multiple possible solutions. For instance, for reactant B, I got -2.5 when comparing rates 3 and 2, but when comparing rates 3 and 1 I got -0.5. I know the answer is -0.5.
    My question is how do I know which one is the most plausible answer when solving these types of problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2016 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It was rather hard for me to make out what your question is. I guess it is about Question 1? This appears to be solved correctly, I presume the answers in red are yours? What is written above though does not correspond to this answer.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  4. Sep 29, 2016 #3

Dr Uma Sharma

Gold Member

you take any ratio ...answer should be same
    If you take R1/R3 then [A] is cancelled and if you do R3 and R1 then plug in the conc of A with raise to power of its order .. it should give us the same answer ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted