1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the velocity of sound in the air by the resonance method

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

measure the velocity of sound in the air using tuning fork and a pipe closed at one end

method a: End Correction involves applying a correction factor to the first resonant length based on the diameter of the tube used.

method b: Second Resonant Length involves finding two successive resonant lengths of the air column within the pipe. The distance between these points represents half a wavelength of the resonance frequency.

equipment - two lengths of PVC tubing of 30mm and 50mm diameter
    2. Relevant equations

Le= L + 0.29d
    wavelength of the sound = 2x (L2-L1)
    3. The attempt at a solution

questions i want to ask,,

- list the main source of measurement uncertainty
    - what frequencies of tuning forks is more suitable
    - predict third resonance length for each tuning fork used in method b
    - what value you would expect in substracting the second resonant length from thr third resonant length?
    - expain why the end correction factor is not applied in the second part of the investigation
    - reason for measuring air temperature inside the pipe

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2
    diameter of tubes 50mm - first resonant length L (m) : 0.304 / effective length Le (m) : 0.318 / wavelength 4 x Le (m): 1.274 / velocity : 326.14

diameter of tubes 30mm - first resonant length L (m) : 0.33 / effective length Le (m) : 0.338 / wavelength 4 x Le (m): 1.354 / velocity : 346.14

fork 1 frequency : 256

i havnt got result for method 2...

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Questions are not attempts at solutions. What are your thoughts on each of your questions? You need to show some effort before help can be given.

5. Oct 19, 2014 #4
    i know but to be honest i have no idea about this experiment.. can u give some examples? so i can get some idea

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted