1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the weight of an object, given force to move it

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is the second part of a problem. In the first problem I determined friction coefficient of an 8N block requiring 2.9 N of force to move is .3625.

The second part of this problem asks: If a weight is added to the block and it now requires 5.7 N to move both at a constant acceleration, what would the weight of the block be?

2. Relevant equations
    w=mg
    f=uN
    u=f/N

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to use the friction coefficient I found in the first problem and set it up as N=f/u. This provided me with the wrong answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That method should work just fine, assuming you understand how N relates to the answer they want. Are they asking you to provide the amount of weight added to the block?

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    The way the question is set up I believe they want the total weight

5. Feb 25, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

To get the total weight of the block plus whatever was added, the method you showed would be correct.

The wording of the question seemed a bit ambiguous to me--they could also have been asking for the weight added to the block.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook