Determining unit vector of acceleration and velocity in circular motio

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
negation
Messages
817
Reaction score
0
As a particle orbits around a circle, the unit vector of the velocity and acceleration component is constantly changing, so, how do I determine the unit vector?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The unit vector for, say, velocity, is the velocity vector divided by the vector-magnitude - same as for any motion.
What is the problem? Can you provide an example where a difficulty arises?

$$\vec v = v\hat v: \hat v = \frac{\vec v}{v}$$

eg. Circular motion about origin at constant speed v and radius R, in Cartesian coordinates:

##\vec r (t) = \hat\imath R\sin\omega t + \hat\jmath R\cos\omega t : v=R\omega##

The unit vector for position would be:

##\hat r = \hat\imath \sin\omega t + \hat\jmath \cos\omega t ##
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
The unit vector for, say, velocity, is the velocity vector divided by the vector-magnitude - same as for any motion.
What is the problem? Can you provide an example where a difficulty arises?

$$\vec v = v\hat v: \hat v = \frac{\vec v}{v}$$

eg. Circular motion about origin at constant speed v and radius R, in Cartesian coordinates:

##\vec r (t) = \hat\imath R\sin\omega t + \hat\jmath R\cos\omega t : v=R\omega##

The unit vector for position would be:

##\hat r = \hat\imath \sin\omega t + \hat\jmath \cos\omega t ##

Just as I suspected. I wanted to confirm my understanding.
Thanks for the input.
 
Gah - I think I got suckered: well done!
In future - if you want to confirm your understanding, just state your understanding and ask.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person