Determining values of resistance, voltage, and current throught a circuit

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution Well I am completely lost because i don't know a few things. well to start it off, I am going to have to use the loop rule. here's my few questions before i actually start it. 1. Where it says the 1.5A after R1, does that show that the amplitude for R1 is 1.5 or the amplitude for the parallel circuit after it is 1.5A?2. for the V on the top, how do i know which is positive and which is negative (doesnt have long and short lines).3. and with the 9v battery, it has 2 sets of small lines and
doublea500

Homework Statement

Question asks for a lot of stuff...
Total Resistance
Total Current
R1, V1 <
V2, I2 <----- R=resistance V=Voltage I= Current 1 is resistor 1, 2 is res2...
R3, I3 <

Homework Equations

V=IR
Kirchoffs loop rule

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I am completely lost because i don't know a few things.
well to start it off, I am going to have to use the loop rule. here's my few questions before i actually start it. Where it says the 1.5A after R1, does that show that the amplitude for R1 is 1.5 or the amplitude for the parallel circuit after it is 1.5A. for the V on the top, how do i know which is positive and which is negative (doesnt have long and short lines). and with the 9v battery, it has 2 sets of small lines and big lines. does this mean anything or is it just left is - and right is +?

Attachments

• Problem2.png
    Problem2.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, with the battery the smaller line (on the left) is negative, the other is positive. You should be able to work out which side of the V is negative and which is positive from that. The A is just showing that there is 1.5amps flowing through the circuit at that point. That's the best i can do for now so if anyone else has more detail, please add.

Hints on solving circuit problems in the steady state (i.e., [tex]\frac{\partial \Phi_B}{\partial t} = 0[/tex]):

1. Mark the different currents
  2. Identify the potential differences across batteries, resistors, and capacitors (for the latter, assign arbitrary charges)
  3. Identify the loops you will evaluate
  4. Use ΔV =0 to find equations for potential difference
  5. If needed, use Kirchhoff's junction rule to find the relationship between currents
  6. Solve the system of equations

frog210293 said:
Firstly, with the battery the smaller line (on the left) is negative, the other is positive. You should be able to work out which side of the V is negative and which is positive from that. The A is just showing that there is 1.5amps flowing through the circuit at that point. That's the best i can do for now so if anyone else has more detail, please add.

like what I am trying to ask is if you do V=IR would it be 9V=1.5A*R1 and then you could find r1 like that?

nevermind, i found it out. thanks for the help

1. How do I calculate the resistance in a circuit?

In order to calculate the resistance in a circuit, you will need to know the voltage and current values. Once you have these values, you can use Ohm's law (R=V/I) to determine the resistance.

2. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

According to Ohm's law, the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit is V=IR. This means that the voltage is directly proportional to the current and resistance is inversely proportional to the current. In other words, as the resistance increases, the current decreases and vice versa.

3. How do I measure the voltage and current in a circuit?

To measure voltage, you will need a voltmeter. Place the voltmeter in parallel with the component you want to measure the voltage across. To measure current, you will need an ammeter. Place the ammeter in series with the component you want to measure the current through.

4. What factors affect the resistance in a circuit?

The resistance in a circuit can be affected by several factors including the type of material the conductor is made of, the length and cross-sectional area of the conductor, and the temperature. Additionally, the presence of resistors or other components in the circuit can also affect the overall resistance.

5. How does the resistance in a circuit impact the flow of current?

The resistance in a circuit can impact the flow of current by either increasing or decreasing it. If the resistance is high, it will impede the flow of current, resulting in a decrease in current. On the other hand, if the resistance is low, it will allow for a greater flow of current. However, it is important to note that the voltage also plays a significant role in determining the amount of current in a circuit.