Determining Work Based on a Charge and Particle

In summary, the potential at a point is -4.5E3 V and a 0.94 C charge is brought from infinity to the point. Using the equation 1V = 1 J/C, the work done is calculated to be -4500V*0.94C = -4230J. There was some uncertainty about the simplicity of the answer, but it was confirmed to be correct.
rabiddogma

Homework Statement

The potential at a point is -4.5E3 V. How much work, in J, is done to bring a 0.94 C charge from infinity to the point?

Homework Equations

1V = 1 J/C

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that 1 V = 1 J/C so I did -4500V*0.94C = -4230J but I wasn't sure if this was right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rabiddogma said:

Homework Statement

The potential at a point is -4.5E3 V. How much work, in J, is done to bring a 0.94 C charge from infinity to the point?

Homework Equations

1V = 1 J/C

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that 1 V = 1 J/C so I did -4500V/0.94C = -4230J but I wasn't sure if this was right.

Check how the units multiply out in your calculation. Do you get Joules?

gneill said:
Check how the units multiply out in your calculation. Do you get Joules?

Ah my bad, that was a typo, what I did was -4500V*0.94C. Which does come out to J but I wasn't sure if that gave the proper answer.

rabiddogma said:
Ah my bad, that was a typo, what I did was -4500V*0.94C. Which does come out to J but I wasn't sure if that gave the proper answer.

Alright. In that case the result looks fine :smile:

gneill said:
Alright. In that case the result looks fine :smile:

Alright, thanks, I just wasn't sure because my instructor has a tendency of giving us trick problems and that just seemed too easy.

1. What is work in relation to a charge and particle?

Work is defined as the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to move an object in the direction of the force. In the context of a charge and particle, work refers to the energy required to move a charged particle against an electric field.

2. How is work calculated in a charge and particle system?

The work done on a charged particle can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge by the electric potential difference through which it moves. This can be represented by the equation W=qΔV, where W is work, q is the charge, and ΔV is the potential difference.

3. What is the relationship between work and distance in a charge and particle system?

The amount of work done on a charged particle is directly proportional to the distance it moves through the electric field. This means that the greater the distance the particle moves, the more work is required to move it against the electric field.

4. Can the direction of work on a charged particle be negative?

Yes, the direction of work on a charged particle can be negative. This occurs when the particle is moving in the direction of the electric field, meaning that the electric force and the direction of motion are in opposite directions. In this case, the work done on the particle is negative.

5. How does the charge of a particle affect the amount of work done on it?

The charge of a particle directly affects the amount of work done on it. A larger charge will require more work to be moved against an electric field, while a smaller charge will require less work. This is because the force exerted on a charged particle by an electric field is directly proportional to the particle's charge.