Developments to unify quantum theory with General Relativity?

In summary, the recent developments in the attempt to unify the standard model of quantum theory with General Relativity have not yielded any significant progress. There is a "incompleteness" in the unification scheme that awaits for Godel of Quantum Gravity to prove.
mathman
Science Advisor
Have there been any recent developments in the attempt to unify the standard model of quantum theory with General Relativity? It appears the no progress has been made recently in string theory or loop quantum gravity.

Physics news on Phys.org
As time passes by it seems to me that a sort of "incompleteness" in this unification scheme is in order.
Just awaits for Godel of Quantum Gravity to prove it... :oldbiggrin:

Likes Demystifier, Klystron and PeroK
I am somewhat more optimistic. Godel was dealing in mathematics. I doubt if you can "prove" incompleteness for physical theories.

mathman said:
I am somewhat more optimistic. Godel was dealing in mathematics. I doubt if you can "prove" incompleteness for physical theories.
What will make you a pessimist?
Well a physical theory is constructed with maths, so the mathematics will be incomplete, and the physics won't make sense anyway, it's either inconsistent or incomplete.

Likes member 664151
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Well a physical theory is constructed with maths, so the mathematics will be incomplete, and the physics won't make sense anyway, it's either inconsistent or incomplete.
This seems like a total non sequitur to me. How do you get from true but not provable propositions in an axiomatic system to propositions that “won’t make sense”?

Nugatory said:
This seems like a total non sequitur to me. How do you get from true but not provable propositions in an axiomatic system to propositions that “won’t make sense”?
Well "making sense" is with regards to classical logic.
It might make sense for someone using paraconsistent logic or some other non-conventional logic I am unaware of.

Nugatory said:
Godel does not have "true but not provable" propositions. It has unprovable propositions that become axioms as you extend the maths. The axioms are neither true not false. You can accept them as true, or you can accept various negations of them as true. E.g. the unprovable generalized continuum hypothesis may be accepted or rejected according to taste.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_hypothesis

Last edited:
mathman said:
It could be something like the Bell theorem for local hidden variables in quantum mechanics. The theorem might state that no theory can simultaneously have properties of being (i) quantum, (ii) general covariant and (iii) obeying some additional property that currently everybody takes for granted.

1. What is the current state of progress in unifying quantum theory with General Relativity?

Currently, there is no complete and universally accepted theory that unifies quantum theory with General Relativity. While there have been many attempts and theories proposed, none have been able to fully explain the behavior of the universe at both the quantum and macroscopic levels.

2. What are some of the main challenges in unifying quantum theory with General Relativity?

One of the main challenges is the fundamental differences between the two theories. Quantum theory describes the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions, while General Relativity explains the behavior of gravity and the large-scale structure of the universe. These two theories have different mathematical frameworks and are difficult to reconcile.

3. How do scientists approach the task of unifying quantum theory with General Relativity?

Scientists use various approaches such as string theory, loop quantum gravity, and quantum field theory in curved spacetime to try and bridge the gap between quantum theory and General Relativity. These theories attempt to explain the behavior of the universe at both the quantum and macroscopic levels.

4. What are some potential implications of successfully unifying quantum theory with General Relativity?

If a unified theory is achieved, it could lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and potentially solve many long-standing mysteries, such as the nature of black holes and the origin of the universe. It could also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and space travel.

5. Are there any experiments or observations that could help in the development of a unified theory?

Yes, there are ongoing experiments and observations in areas such as high-energy physics, cosmology, and gravitational waves that could provide valuable insights and data for the development of a unified theory. These experiments aim to test the predictions of various theories and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.