Devise a no longer available component for use in Target 3001?

• Thread starter joniverson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary: So you can see how your original post (OP) confused some of us. I too assumed that Target 3001 was some kind of automated reverse-engineering tool.But it now appears that it is just the schematic/layout package that you are trying to recreate this design in, right? Can you say more about why you are doing this? Are you just trying to learn the CAD package, or are you wanting to create a repair manual for this TV? What is the endgame? Thanks.
joniverson
TL;DR Summary
I am in the process of trying to use the program Target 3001 to transfer a circuit board image to a workable schematic, but I am running into difficulty locating any info on a flyback.
Hi,

I am trying to eventually produce a schematic from a populated circuit board using the program Target 3001. I have been carefully locating and identifying as many parts on the board as possible for ease of placement later, but there is one problem: the board has an old nine pin flyback transformer for which there doesn't appear to be any data either in the search areas that the program recommends, nor through googling.

The program has options for drawing "packages" and "symbols" in aforementioned cases, but for something like a flyback where I can't see what goes where internally, I'm not sure how to do this. By the way, the flyback number is FMH-1232BE (maybe you'll have better luck than I did!).

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jon

Engineering news on Phys.org
What type of machine is this in? Video monitor type thing? Having worked on TV sets from days gone by my first thought was to find an old NTE or ECG catalog. They may have a cross reference that could steer you in the right direction.

Averagesupernova said:
What type of machine is this in?
Did you even Google it? It's just CAD software and it runs on Windows (and other O.S's)

phinds said:
Did you even Google it? It's just CAD software and it runs on Windows (and other O.S's)
Did you even read the thread closely? I didn't feel the need to Google Target 3001 because I thought the OP described it well enough that there was no need. The question is what type of machine is the flyback in. If the question is what the flyback is, then THAT is what should be googled. I did that as did the op and came up with nothing.

• Informative
Likes phinds
Averagesupernova said:
Did you even read the thread closely? I didn't feel the need to Google Target 3001 because I thought the OP described it well enough that there was no need. The question is what type of machine is the flyback in. If the question is what the flyback is, then THAT is what should be googled. I did that as did the op and came up with nothing.
I was hasty. Sorry.

Likes berkeman
phinds said:
I was hasty. Sorry.
I did reread it wondering if I missed something but I still come back to the conclusion that @joniverson is working on something that has a flyback which is yet unidentified. I am curious what that is. There was a day when I could have likely found it in an NTE catalog if it is in some kind of video monitor.

joniverson said:
... the board has an old nine pin flyback transformer ...
I would assume the "flyback" is the horizontal output transformer from a CRT display monitor of some sort.
It would help to know the screen format, the year of manufacture, and the make and model of the product.

Likes Averagesupernova
joniverson said:
I am in the process of trying to use the program Target 3001 to transfer a circuit board image to a workable schematic, but I am running into difficulty locating any info on a flyback.
So you can see how your original post (OP) confused some of us. I too assumed that Target 3001 was some kind of automated reverse-engineering tool.

But it now appears that it is just the schematic/layout package that you are trying to recreate this design in, right?

Can you say more about why you are doing this? Are you just trying to learn the CAD package, or are you wanting to create a repair manual for this TV? What is the endgame? Thanks.

Likes phinds and Averagesupernova
Ok, the device is a non-functional Rabbit Systems "white lightning" generator. These were made in the late 1980's. A similar device is here, much newer and a different design (dual mosfet driven flyback... the Rabbit unit uses a single TIP142). Not sure what happened to all of the Rabbit Systems information as I would have thought it would have been as complete as the Radio Shack unit.

There seems to be absolutely no service information on the web for the Rabbit Systems unit, so I am attempting to eventually create a schematic from the component populated board. I've had good luck identifying everything except the flyback.

I'm probably going to have to just take resistance readings of the existing flyback and guesstimate primary and secondary from how the traces and components connect with it and go from there. Using the instructional videos, I should be able to create both aspects (packages & symbols) that the program needs, unless actual flyback data is found.

Thanks for the responses so far,
Jon

joniverson said:
Summary:: I am in the process of trying to use the program Target 3001 to transfer a circuit board image to a workable schematic, but I am running into difficulty locating any info on a flyback.

the flyback number is FMH-1232BE
joniverson said:
I've had good luck identifying everything except the flyback.
Goggling the part number probably got you to the ISE website like it did for me. But I don't get a match at the ISE website using their search engine.

Every product that I've designed or worked with that contained a flyback transformer used a custom or semi-custom design. I don't think there are too many off-the-shelf flyback transformers, certainly not for low-cost consumer products.

You might try sending an inquiry to ISE to see if they did produce that flyback for that product. They may not be able to tell you or send you specs (because of proprietary agreements), or maybe it's been long enough now that they wouldn't mind sending you the specs.

Likes DaveE
berkeman said:
Goggling the part number probably got you to the ISE website like it did for me.

Actually, no, that was not a website I came across during my search. What is the link please? Thank you.

joniverson said:
Actually, no, that was not a website I came across during my search. What is the link please? Thank you.
Oh, it might be because I added a word to my search: flyback FMH-1232BE

Here is the link: https://www.isemagnetics.com/oplossingen/index.php?SECTION_ID=190

1582912155166.png

The address given in the FCC filing you linked to is a15-20 story office building in Santa Monica California. Banks & financial businesses in there, probably lawyers too. It's a High Rent district right on the coast, across the street is the beach.

For some leads on Rabbit Systems, use the California Secretary of State site.
https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/

In "Search Type" check, Corporation Name
In "Search Criteria" enter, rabbit systems
In "Search Filter" select, Keyword
Click Search button

You will get another page. In the tabular data showing some details, click on "Rabbit Systems, Inc."

That will get you some mailing addresses and links to .PDF images of their corporate filing application. On those PDFs you will find they are also known as ENVISION SYSTEMS, INC., along with a few more people names.

I quit at that point; it's enough to get you started.

Have Fun! and let us know what you find.

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks, Tom, for the suggestions and tips, but unfortunately did not lead anywhere.

That being said, I created a preliminary schematic after attempting to draw the device in question, but the pins and the device itself did not transfer correctly and I am nearly back to square one. I don't find this program easy to work with at all. I've watched and read a good many tutorials and videos now and it seems like there's always something left out that you have to determine on your own.

Then there is the resulting schematic in "ratsnest" form that somehow has to be sorted. If I ever reach this step after having correctly devised the flyback, the issue will be to clarify the schematic by sorting out this "nest".

1. What is Target 3001?

Target 3001 is a software used for designing electronic circuits and printed circuit boards (PCBs). It allows users to create schematics, simulate circuits, and generate PCB layouts.

2. What is a component in Target 3001?

A component in Target 3001 refers to an electronic part that can be added to a circuit design. This can include resistors, capacitors, transistors, and other electronic components.

3. Why would a component no longer be available for use in Target 3001?

There are several reasons why a component may no longer be available for use in Target 3001. This could be due to the component being obsolete, discontinued by the manufacturer, or simply not included in the software's library of components.

4. How can I devise a no longer available component for use in Target 3001?

To devise a no longer available component for use in Target 3001, you can create a custom component using the software's library editor. This allows you to define the component's properties, such as its symbol, footprint, and electrical characteristics.

5. Are there any limitations to devising a custom component in Target 3001?

While Target 3001 allows users to create custom components, there may be limitations depending on the complexity of the component. It is important to ensure that the custom component is accurately defined to avoid any errors in the circuit design or PCB layout.