1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalize matrix by unitary transformation

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    In an exercise I am asked to find the eigenvalues of a matrix A by demanding that a unitary matrix (see the attached file) diagonalizes it. I know I could just solve the eigenvalue equation but I think I am supposed to do it this rather tedious way.
    Now I have introduced an arbitrary unitary matrix and performed the matrix multiplication:
    U^(dagger)AU = D, where D is a diagonalized matrix.
    From this last relation I should somehow be able to find the eigenvalues, but I haven't been able to so far. Have I done it wrong or is there actually a way through this messy algebra. What should I do?
    Note that the unitarity demands that lu_kl^2+lv_kl^2 = 1, which I suspect could be useful, but are there any other relations, which I am missing?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2014 #2
    To do this you somehow have to know the eigenvectors of A; these eigenvectors v_i would form your matrix U, i.e. U = [v_1 v_2 ... v_n]. Not really sure about the unitary matrix assumption..it could be just that by making D be unitary, then D is said to diagonalizable and therefore your equation U^T*A*U = D holds.

4. Mar 8, 2014 #3
    Oh you should check the wiki page for unitary matrices...there are some extra properties. The eigenvectors must be orthogonal.

5. Mar 9, 2014 #4
    But I am guessing you can write up a general unitary matrix U and then by demanding that it diagonalizes A, you can find the eigenvalues. At least that is how I think the exercise is thought, but it is much easier to just solve the eigenvalue equation.

6. Mar 9, 2014 #5
    yeah so from the pdf you uplinked thats exactly what is done. you have formulae for the eigenvalues in terms of the matrix elements from A and U. I assume you know A immediately, and maybe you can eliminate the eigenvector terms using the cross diagonal equations. The notation seems to be a bit excessive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted