Diagonalize matrix by unitary transformation

In summary, the author is trying to solve the eigenvalue equation U^T*A*U = D, where A is a diagonalizable matrix, but is having trouble getting started. They introduce an arbitrary unitary matrix U, and perform the matrix multiplication U^(dagger)AU. From this last relation, they should be able to find the eigenvalues, but haven't been able to so far. The author suggests checking the wiki page for unitary matrices for extra information.
aaaa202
In an exercise I am asked to find the eigenvalues of a matrix A by demanding that a unitary matrix (see the attached file) diagonalizes it. I know I could just solve the eigenvalue equation but I think I am supposed to do it this rather tedious way.
Now I have introduced an arbitrary unitary matrix and performed the matrix multiplication:
U^(dagger)AU = D, where D is a diagonalized matrix.
From this last relation I should somehow be able to find the eigenvalues, but I haven't been able to so far. Have I done it wrong or is there actually a way through this messy algebra. What should I do?
Note that the unitarity demands that lu_kl^2+lv_kl^2 = 1, which I suspect could be useful, but are there any other relations, which I am missing?

Attachments

• Matrix.pdf
    63.1 KB · Views: 370
Physics news on Phys.org
To do this you somehow have to know the eigenvectors of A; these eigenvectors v_i would form your matrix U, i.e. U = [v_1 v_2 ... v_n]. Not really sure about the unitary matrix assumption..it could be just that by making D be unitary, then D is said to diagonalizable and therefore your equation U^T*A*U = D holds.

Oh you should check the wiki page for unitary matrices...there are some extra properties. The eigenvectors must be orthogonal.

But I am guessing you can write up a general unitary matrix U and then by demanding that it diagonalizes A, you can find the eigenvalues. At least that is how I think the exercise is thought, but it is much easier to just solve the eigenvalue equation.

yeah so from the pdf you uplinked that's exactly what is done. you have formulae for the eigenvalues in terms of the matrix elements from A and U. I assume you know A immediately, and maybe you can eliminate the eigenvector terms using the cross diagonal equations. The notation seems to be a bit excessive.

1. What is the purpose of diagonalizing a matrix by unitary transformation?

The purpose of diagonalizing a matrix by unitary transformation is to simplify the matrix by converting it into a diagonal matrix. This can make calculations, such as finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, easier and more efficient.

2. How is a unitary transformation different from other types of matrix transformations?

A unitary transformation is a type of linear transformation that preserves the inner product of vectors. This means that the length of a vector and the angle between two vectors will not change after the transformation. Other types of matrix transformations, such as rotation or reflection, may change these properties.

3. What is the relationship between unitary matrices and orthogonal matrices?

Unitary matrices are the complex counterparts of orthogonal matrices. Both types of matrices have the property that their inverse is equal to their transpose, but unitary matrices can also have complex entries while orthogonal matrices only have real entries.

4. How do you diagonalize a matrix by unitary transformation?

To diagonalize a matrix by unitary transformation, you first need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. Then, you can construct a unitary matrix using the eigenvectors as columns. Multiplying the original matrix by this unitary matrix will result in a diagonal matrix.

5. Can all matrices be diagonalized by unitary transformation?

Not all matrices can be diagonalized by unitary transformation. The matrix must satisfy certain conditions, such as being square and having distinct eigenvalues, in order for it to be diagonalizable by unitary transformation. If these conditions are not met, then the matrix cannot be diagonalized by unitary transformation.