1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagram of the see-saw and parallel mirrors

1. Nov 25, 2006 #1
    1. Two mirrors are placed parallel to each other on a sea-saw. A beam incident in analmost vertical plane, on the first mirror is reflected to be incident on the second and then is further reflected to form a spot on the wall at some distance away. If the sea-saw is turned through an angle theta, through what angle will the reflected beam turn?

2. If for two vectors A and B; |A+B|=|A-B| then

a) |A-B|=|A|+|B|
    b) |A+B|=|A|-|B|
    c) |A+B|=0
    d) |A.B|=0

Please let me explai, I have no idea about these questions. Please explain it to me. I have astonomy olympiad so I got them by reading the past papers.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

In the first problem, it would be useful to draw a diagram of the see-saw and parallel mirrors.

In the second problem |A| means magnitude of vector A.

The problem asks for the meaning of the statement 'the magnitude of the vector sum of vectors A and B = magnitude of the vector difference of A and B. How is this possible? What other condition is inferred?
  4. Nov 25, 2006 #3
    Please sir, try to be clear. I cant grasp things of that level like that. I am just at the 9th standard (14 yrs. old)
  5. Nov 26, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take a piece of paper and draw two vectors A and B such that the sum of the two vectors A + B has the same length as the difference between the vectors A - B. Which of the four answer conditions is statisfied by these two vectos?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?