Diagramatic perturbative expansion of QCD

In summary: QCD, Z[J,\xi,\xi*,\eta,\eta*], is expressed with Feynman diagrams. The expansion contains external sources denoted by something like \int d^4 x J \int d^4 x \eta \int d^4 x \xi* \int d^4
Sunset
Hi!

Has anybody seen the perturbative expansion of the generating functional of QCD [tex] Z[J,\xi,\xi*,\eta,\eta*] [/tex] expressed with Feynman diagrams? I mean, there should be an expansion, containing external sources denoted by something like
-------o abbreviation for [tex] i \int d^4 x J [/tex]
-------# abbreviation for [tex] i \int d^4 x \eta [/tex]
and so on...

I haven't found any book showing this.

Is it maybe simply the sum of all possible graphs with their combinatorical prefactors that can be constructed from the Feynman rules?

Best regards Martin

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunset said:
Is it maybe simply the sum of all possible graphs with their combinatorical prefactors that can be constructed from the Feynman rules?

Yep. When sources are attached, there is an extra combinatoric factor of 1/n! for each type of source, where n is the number of that type of source that appears in the diagram.

Hi Avodyne!

This would be really cool... but I want to make sure, that we mean the same thing:

[tex]\eta[/tex] is the quark source
J the gauge field (gluon) source
[tex]\xi[/tex] the ghost source

quark line is a straight line
ghost line is dottet
gluon line is twidled

[tex]i \int d^4 x \eta[/tex] I draw as a dot
[tex]i \int d^4 x \xi[/tex] as triangle
[tex]i \int d^4 x J[/tex] as box

So Z is equal the little bitmap I attached (up to prefactors and understood that there are infinite many more diagrams i.e. all possible ones ) ? (I didn't take care of colors and flavors, just assume there is only one flavor and one color, if one takes into account more colors then more diagrams...) One would have to draw ALL possible graphs, that means disconnected graphs as the last one, too.

If that is true , is the generating functional W=lnZ also exactly the sum of ALL possible connected diagrams?

Attachments

• forum.bmp
    131 KB · Views: 467
Oh wait, I did a mistake. Understood, each external point should have a source (forgot to draw them)

I corrected that one

Attachments

• correct.bmp
    131 KB · Views: 426
For some reason I'm not able to view your 2nd picture. In the first, the quark loop with a single gluon attached is zero. And one has to get the combinatoric factors right. But then, yes, Z is just the sum of all possible diagrams (connected and disconnected), and W=log(Z) is the sum of just the connected diagrams.

This is all explained pretty well for phi^3 theory in the book by Srednicki (google to find a free draft copy online).

ok, great!

I wasn't sure if really everything goes the same way as in phi^n theory.

Thanks a lot,

Martin

1. What is QCD and how does it relate to particle physics?

QCD stands for Quantum Chromodynamics and is a theory that describes the interactions between quarks and gluons, the fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons. It is an essential component of the Standard Model of particle physics and helps explain the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. What is a perturbative expansion and how is it used in QCD?

A perturbative expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a complex equation by breaking it down into simpler parts. In QCD, this technique is used to calculate the interactions between quarks and gluons at high energies, where the strong nuclear force is dominant. This allows physicists to make predictions and calculations that can be compared to experimental results.

3. Why is a diagrammatic approach used in perturbative expansions of QCD?

Diagrams are a visual representation of mathematical equations and are used to simplify complex calculations in QCD. They allow physicists to understand and visualize the interactions between quarks and gluons and how they contribute to the overall calculation. This approach makes the calculations more manageable and easier to interpret.

4. How does the coupling constant affect the diagrammatic perturbative expansion of QCD?

The coupling constant, also known as the strong coupling constant, is a measure of the strength of the strong nuclear force. In the diagrammatic perturbative expansion of QCD, the coupling constant appears in each diagram and affects the strength of the interaction between quarks and gluons. As the energy increases, the coupling constant decreases, and the perturbative expansion becomes more accurate.

5. What are the limitations of the diagrammatic perturbative expansion of QCD?

While the diagrammatic perturbative expansion is a powerful tool in predicting and understanding the behavior of quarks and gluons, it has its limitations. At high energies, the perturbative expansion becomes less accurate, and other theoretical techniques, such as lattice QCD, must be used. Additionally, the perturbative expansion does not account for phenomena such as confinement and chiral symmetry breaking, which are essential in the low-energy regime of QCD.