Why does ##u## need to be small to represent the Taylor expansion

In summary: So, although the function is not continuous at ##x=p##, the Taylor series for ##f## does converge to a value at ##x=p##.
Reuben_Leib
TL;DR Summary
Taylor series
Necessary condition for a curve to provide a weak extremum.
Let ##x(t)## be the extremum curve.
Let ##x=x(t,u) = x(t) + u\eta(t)## be the curve with variation in the neighbourhood of ##(\varepsilon,\varepsilon')##.
Let $$I(u) = \int^b_aL(t,x(t,u),\dot{x}(t,u))dt = \int^b_aL(t,x(t) + u\eta(t),\dot{x}(t) + u\dot{\eta}(t))dt$$
"Taylor’s theorem indicates that, for ##u## sufficiently small, ##I(u)## can be represented by"
$$I(u) = I(0) + u \left(\frac{\textrm{d}I}{\textrm{d}u}\right)_{u=0} + O(u^2)$$
My question is: Why does ##u## need to be small to represent the Taylor expansion of ##I(u)##? doesn't the Taylor series work for any size ##u##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Reuben_Leib said:
My question is: Why does ##u## need to be small to represent the Taylor expansion of ##I(u)##? doesn't the Taylor series work for any size ##u##?
It does, but then you will not be able to ignore "##+O(u^2)##" because the higher order terms will become significant relative to the zeroth and first order terms.

Likes vanhees71
If you take the series expansion to infinite order then yes, it will work for any size ##u##. But in this case you are taking only the first term in the expansion, so this will deviate from the original function with errors of order ##O(u^2)##. Those will only be small if ##u## is small.

Reuben_Leib said:

Yes, it does.

Where did you read it? Small values of ##u## are the second nature of physicists if they read, write, or hear Taylor. It is usually applied to discover linear approximations, i.e. you need small, neglectable values for ##u^n \;(n>1).##

There is simply not much use of the series for ##u\gg 0.## Furthermore, note that differentiation is a local quality. Differentiable in a neighborhood of ##0## means in a very small radius around ##0.## So we are already limited to a local phenomenon. Why does it make sense to have local behavior in the derivative terms and global in the stretching terms? But yes, formally, there is no restriction for calling the series a Taylor series. However, there is something "small" if we write down the theorem:

Let ##f:I\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}## be a ##n## times continuously differentiable function, and ##p\in I,## Then we have for all ##x\in I##
$$
f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^n \dfrac{f^{(k)}(p)}{k!}\,(x-p)^k + \eta(x)(x-p)^n
$$
where ##\displaystyle{\lim_{x\to p}\eta(x)=0.}##

The estimation for the remainder term converges to zero.

Likes vanhees71 and Reuben_Leib

1. Why is it necessary for ##u## to be small in the Taylor expansion?

The Taylor expansion is a mathematical tool used to approximate a function at a specific point by using a polynomial. In order for this approximation to be accurate, the value of ##u## must be small so that the higher order terms in the polynomial become negligible. This allows us to simplify the calculation and obtain a more precise approximation of the function.

2. What happens if ##u## is not small in the Taylor expansion?

If the value of ##u## is not small, the higher order terms in the polynomial will not be negligible and will significantly affect the accuracy of the approximation. This can result in a larger error and a less precise representation of the function.

3. Is there a specific range for the value of ##u## in the Taylor expansion?

There is no specific range for the value of ##u## in the Taylor expansion. However, it is generally recommended to choose a value that is close to the point of expansion and small enough so that the higher order terms become insignificant. The exact value of ##u## will depend on the specific function being approximated.

4. How does the size of ##u## affect the accuracy of the Taylor expansion?

The size of ##u## directly affects the accuracy of the Taylor expansion. As mentioned before, a smaller value of ##u## will result in a more precise approximation of the function, while a larger value will lead to a larger error. It is important to choose an appropriate value for ##u## in order to obtain an accurate representation of the function.

5. Can the Taylor expansion be used for any function, regardless of the size of ##u##?

The Taylor expansion can be used for any function, but the accuracy of the approximation will depend on the size of ##u##. If ##u## is not small enough, the higher order terms will not be negligible and the approximation will not be accurate. Therefore, it is important to choose an appropriate value for ##u## when using the Taylor expansion.