Diamagnetism and Hydrogen Bond Strength

In summary, the conversation discussed the effects of a uniform magnetic field on water solutions and its potential to strengthen hydrogen bonds and increase the redox potential. Two papers were referenced, one exploring the effects on an atomic orbital and the other on surface tension of water. The question of how this is happening was raised, seeking further explanation.
HelloCthulhu
I've read a few papers regarding the effects of a uniform magnetic field on water solutions, but I'm a complete illiterate when it comes to deciphering the jargon. So far, many papers confirm that a uniform magnetic field strengthens hydrogen bonds and can increase the redox potential. I've included two papers exploring the effects. I hope someone can explain how this is happening.

Attachments

• Magnetic Field Effects on Redox Potential of Reduction.pdf
    206.9 KB · Views: 637
  • Magnetic field increases the surface tension of water.pdf
    542.3 KB · Views: 707
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Many experiments and textbooks confirm that (in the contemporary fashion) the orbit of an electron will speed up or slow down due to the orientation of a magnetic field.

"Effect of a Magnetic Field on an Atomic Orbital" Sami M. AL-Jaber1, AbdelRahman M. Abu-Labdeh2
http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperDownload.aspx?paperID=3761

http://optics.hanyang.ac.kr/~shsong/Chapter 6. Griffiths-Magnetic fields in matter 6.1~6.2.pdf

Does the speed electron orbit affect the atom's potential to form a bond?

Here's a research paper exploring the effects of a magnetic field on the surface tension of water.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/156/1/012028/meta

The conclusions were that surface tension increased. How is this happening? I appreciate your help!

1. What is diamagnetism?

Diamagnetism is a property of a material in which it creates a magnetic field in the opposite direction of an externally applied magnetic field. This results in the material being repelled by the magnetic field.

2. How does hydrogen bonding affect diamagnetism?

Hydrogen bonding can impact the strength of diamagnetism in a material. When hydrogen bonds are present, they can cause the electrons in the material to be more localized, leading to a stronger diamagnetic effect.

3. What is the relationship between hydrogen bond strength and molecular weight?

In general, as the molecular weight of a molecule increases, the strength of its hydrogen bonds also increases. This is because larger molecules have more electrons and protons, allowing for stronger interactions between them.

4. Can hydrogen bond strength be measured?

Yes, hydrogen bond strength can be measured using techniques such as infrared spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), and X-ray crystallography. These methods can provide information about the strength and length of hydrogen bonds in a molecule.

5. How does temperature affect hydrogen bond strength?

As temperature increases, the strength of hydrogen bonds decreases. This is because higher temperatures lead to increased molecular motion, making it harder for hydrogen bonds to form and remain stable.