Is the Spin-Rotation Constant Always Positive in Diatomic Molecules?

• I
  • Thread starter Malamala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, the spin-rotation constant, ##\gamma##, can have a negative value in diatomic molecules, such as YbF and YbOH, as seen in precision measurements. It is determined by a second order perturbation interaction involving spin-orbit and rotational operators, which can result in either positive or negative values depending on the states involved.
Malamala
Hello! Can the spin-rotation constant, ##\gamma##, have a negative value in a diatomic molecule, or does it have to be positive (in my case the state is a ground state ##^2\Sigma_+##, which is about 14000 cm##^{-1}## away from the next electronic level). I don't think I have ever seen negative values for ##\gamma## in the papers I came across, but I am also not sure if there is a reason for it to be always positive. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello! Sure it can, see for example the YbF and YbOH molecules that are being pursued for precision measurements. In a lot of cases, the spin-rotation constant is mostly determined by a second order perturbation interaction involving spin-orbit and rotational operators. This can be either positive or negative depending on the sorts of states involved.

• Informative
Likes Twigg

What is spin-rotation in a molecule?

Spin-rotation is a phenomenon in which the spin and rotational motion of an atom or molecule are coupled together. This means that the spin of the atom or molecule affects its rotational behavior and vice versa.

How does spin-rotation affect the properties of a molecule?

Spin-rotation can affect the energy levels and spectra of a molecule, as well as its magnetic and electric properties. It is an important factor to consider in understanding the behavior of molecules in various environments.

What causes spin-rotation in a molecule?

Spin-rotation is caused by the interaction between the magnetic moment of an atom or molecule and its rotational motion. This interaction is known as the spin-rotation coupling.

Can spin-rotation be observed experimentally?

Yes, spin-rotation can be observed experimentally through various techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to study the spin and rotational behavior of molecules in detail.

What are the applications of spin-rotation in chemistry and physics?

Spin-rotation has various applications in chemistry and physics, such as in the study of molecular structure, dynamics, and reactivity. It is also important in fields like quantum computing and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).