Is the Spin-Rotation Constant Always Positive in Diatomic Molecules?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Malamala
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Molecule
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
Malamala
Messages
348
Reaction score
28
Hello! Can the spin-rotation constant, ##\gamma##, have a negative value in a diatomic molecule, or does it have to be positive (in my case the state is a ground state ##^2\Sigma_+##, which is about 14000 cm##^{-1}## away from the next electronic level). I don't think I have ever seen negative values for ##\gamma## in the papers I came across, but I am also not sure if there is a reason for it to be always positive. Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello! Sure it can, see for example the YbF and YbOH molecules that are being pursued for precision measurements. In a lot of cases, the spin-rotation constant is mostly determined by a second order perturbation interaction involving spin-orbit and rotational operators. This can be either positive or negative depending on the sorts of states involved.