1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diatomic molecule Hamiltonian

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to find the hamiltonian for a diatomic molecule, where the molecule can only rotate and translate and we supose that potencial energy doesn't change.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okey so I used Spherical coordinate system such as the kinetic energy of the molecule is
    [tex]T=\frac{1}{2}(m\dot{r}^2+I(\dot{\phi}^2+I(\dot{θ})^2)=L[/tex]

To find the Hamiltonian i've considered:

[tex]P_r=m\dot{r} \Rightarrow \dot{r}=\frac{P_r}{m}[/tex]

And so on for the other momentum so the final solution for the hamiltonian is:

[tex]H=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{P_r^2}{m}+\frac{P_\phi^2}{I}+ \frac{P_θ^2}{I})[/tex]

BUT the correct solution given by my professor is:
    [tex]H=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{P_r^2}{m}+\frac{P_\phi^2}{I \sin^2\theta}+ \frac{P_θ^2}{I})[/tex]

So I don't know why is there a sin^2\theta factor.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The problem lies in where you started. How'd you come up with this?

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3
    Yep I already solved the problem. You were right Vela i started wrong. I divided the Hamiltonian between the lagrangian for the translation kinetic energy and the rotation kinetic energy so:
    [tex]T_t=\frac{1}{2}M(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2+\dot{z}^2)= \frac{1}{2M} (P_x^2+P_y^2+P_z^2)[/tex]

And then the rotation one:
    [tex]T_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}Mr^2[\dot{\theta^2}+\dot{\phi}^2\sin^2(\theta)][/tex]

And then just like before i get the hamiltonian.

Thank you for the response and sorry for my english ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook