Did anyone here take the physics GRE today?

In summary: Vector algebra and kinematics are related in that a force is a vector and a motion is a vector sum of forces. So if there is a force acting on the plane that is pointing north and the wind is blowing westward with a speed of 30 km/hr, the plane will also go north at 200 km/hr due to the force of the wind.
leright
Did anyone here take the physics GRE today??

If so, how do you think you did? I attempted ~60 problems and I might have gotten like 10-20 of them wrong. So, I didn't do all that great, really. I pulled maybe 50-60th percentile. However, I realized that I am not applying to any programs that require the physics GRE so it's not that big of a deal. I am applying to applied physics, material science, and EE programs. (the area of research I am interested in is done in those departments.)

As I was driving home I started realizing all of the mistakes I made...bah... :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I took it today as well. I think I answered about 85 to 90 questions, who knows how many I got right. I read through the whole test once, and tried to to answer questions where I didn't have to do a lot of algebra. Then I went back through and did problems that required algebra. Then I took some guesses at some others by testing answers using limits and units (I did this the first run too). Then I finished by going back to problems that I got stuck on.

I took it today

I answered around 80 or so questions

It was easier than I thought it would be so I'm afraid that I didn't do as well, percentile-wise, as I would like.

No chance of an 850+ (which means no top 25 schools for me, being a Canadian but not a U.S. citizen), I'm hoping I get over 800 so I can get into some top 50 school.

Yep, count me in. I answered about 75 of them and hopefully got most of them right. Hard to say what my actual score will be though. It seemed to be on the same difficulty level as the 96/01 exams, so I did not feel like it was too crazy. I am aiming for 80th percentile but would be happy with anything above 70th really. Looking at either medical physics or schools with AMO physics research so maybe my score will help me decide...

For the question with the plane going north 200 km/hour, did you guys ignore the wind going 30 km/hr west. If you pointed the plane north, all the wind would do is add to your velocity going right, but you velocity going north would be the same... right?

sol66 said:
For the question with the plane going north 200 km/hour, did you guys ignore the wind going 30 km/hr west. If you pointed the plane north, all the wind would do is add to your velocity going right, but you velocity going north would be the same... right?

You're taking the physics GRE and aren't sure how vector algebra and kinematics relate? Of course the north-bound speed is the same.

I thought that question was pretty damn easy, I didn't know if there was something that I was missing.

1. How difficult is the physics GRE?

The difficulty of the physics GRE can vary depending on the individual's knowledge and preparation. However, it is generally considered to be a challenging exam that requires a strong understanding of physics concepts and problem-solving skills.

2. How long is the physics GRE?

The physics GRE is approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes long, with a total of 100 multiple-choice questions. This includes a 10-minute break in the middle of the exam.

3. What topics are covered on the physics GRE?

The physics GRE covers a wide range of topics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. It also includes some topics from modern physics, such as special relativity and atomic and nuclear physics.

4. How should I prepare for the physics GRE?

Preparation for the physics GRE should include reviewing fundamental concepts in physics, practicing problem-solving techniques, and taking practice exams. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the format and timing of the exam.

5. Is the physics GRE required for graduate school?

It depends on the graduate program you are applying to. Some programs may require or strongly recommend the physics GRE, while others may not consider it as heavily in their admissions process. It is important to research the requirements for each program you are interested in applying to.