Georgia Tech vs Rutgers: Aerospace Engineering Degree

• Thread starter kraghunath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the decision to attend Georgia Tech or Rutgers depends on the individual. If you are planning on going to graduate school, then you should probably go to a more prestigious school. However, if you are only concerned with pursing a career, then Georgia Tech is a better option.
kraghunath
I am currently attending georgia tech for aerospace engineering for bachelors but I am from NJ, I've been thinking about whether I shouldve gone to rutgers because they offered me a very generous scholarship in which I wouldve only had to have paid 1/4 of estimated expenses, should I have gone to rutgers and saved the money or is it worth it going to georgia tech where I barely get any financial aid...ur inputs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
On the surface, I would think so. But I'm sure you had other factors that made you decide to go there?

The only other factor was that GT's AE program is really good, under MIT...

I don't know much about the AE world, so I'll just assume that GT is a very good AE school, whereas Rutgers is just an okay AE school.

The answer depends on whether you plan on going to grad school. If you are, then yes, you probably did make a mistake, since grad schools tend to care less about the prestige of the university, as long as you got a good education (which anyone can get just about anywhere provided they do the work). If you're planning on heading into industry after your bachelors, then you probably did the right decision, as it will probably help you get hired (and unless the GT tuition is stupidly expensive, you should be able to pay back the difference fairly fast with the higher salary you can hope to get).

Yeah, I think you probably made an alright decision going to Georgia Tech. The program will probably be more challenging and rigorous.

Make the most out of your current situation--there's no point in second guessing what's already done.

If money is the only issue here, I thought GTech was a state school. After you get state residency the tuition can't be that bad. And since engineers tend to be paid pretty well, especially coming from a program like GTech, I don't think debt will be a problem.

I don't know about Georgia specifically, but in most or all states, it's very very difficult, or even impossible, to gain in-state residency for reduced tuition for undergraduate study at a state university if you came to school from out of state. You or your parents probably have to have "permanent" residency in the state for a certain period, first.

yea no one gets in state tuition if they are out of state, even if my parents were to move i already looked into that haha

I think this is becoming a troubling trend, college students who wonder if they should go to State School A or prestigious school B in terms of financial aid. Hopefully more of the prestigious colleges can offer financial aid programs like Harvard and Yale, where families who make under a certain amount have their kids go for free.

I don't know how great Rutgers engineering is, but I certainly know that GA-Tech is one of the better schools for engineering in the country. So I don't think you made the wrong decision. You wanted to pursue AE and Georgia Tech is presumably a better place for AE than Rutgers, probably much better. Your career aspects, and grad schools aspects are probably stronger because GA-Tech has a great reputation.

I had no idea GA-Tech was public BTW.

You can co-op to reduce costs, which you should do anyways just because work experience is a good thing to have right out of college. Though, even though the co-op program here is called a "5 year program", I know plenty of 7th year undergrads who have been here so long because of the co-op program. Only 70% of students at GT graduate in 6 years or less.

FAQ: Georgia Tech vs Rutgers: Aerospace Engineering Degree

What is the difference between Georgia Tech and Rutgers for an Aerospace Engineering degree?

Georgia Tech and Rutgers both offer excellent programs in Aerospace Engineering, but there are a few key differences between the two universities. Georgia Tech is generally considered to have a stronger program overall, with a larger faculty, more research opportunities, and higher rankings. However, Rutgers has a strong focus on practical, hands-on experience, with opportunities for internships and co-ops. Additionally, Georgia Tech is located in Atlanta, which is a major hub for the aerospace industry, while Rutgers is located near New York City.

Which university is more affordable for an Aerospace Engineering degree?

The cost of attending each university for an Aerospace Engineering degree will depend on various factors such as residency status, financial aid, and scholarships. Generally, Rutgers has a lower tuition cost for in-state students, while Georgia Tech has a higher tuition cost for both in-state and out-of-state students. However, Georgia Tech also offers more financial aid and scholarship opportunities for students.

What are the admission requirements for an Aerospace Engineering degree at Georgia Tech and Rutgers?

The admission requirements for both universities are similar, as they both require a strong background in math and science, high standardized test scores, and a competitive GPA. However, Georgia Tech also looks for a strong background in engineering and computer programming, while Rutgers places a strong emphasis on extracurricular activities and leadership experience.

What sets Georgia Tech's Aerospace Engineering program apart from Rutgers'?

Georgia Tech's Aerospace Engineering program is highly ranked and has a strong focus on research and innovation. Students have access to state-of-the-art facilities, such as wind tunnels and flight simulators, and have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects with industry partners. On the other hand, Rutgers' program focuses on practical, hands-on experience, with opportunities for internships and co-ops with major aerospace companies.

What career opportunities are available for Aerospace Engineering graduates from Georgia Tech and Rutgers?

Both universities have strong reputations in the aerospace industry, and graduates from either program have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Graduates from Georgia Tech may have an advantage in securing positions at top aerospace companies, while Rutgers graduates may have a stronger network in the Northeast region. However, both universities have strong alumni networks and career services to support graduates in finding job opportunities in the aerospace field.