Did I set up my differential equation correctly?

In summary, the conversation focuses on a homework problem with a system of equations involving two tanks and a flow rate. The problem has been modified to have equal input and output rates of 5 gal/min, but the participants question whether this is accurate based on previous parts of the problem. One person suggests using unknowns for the flow rates and solving for them, while the other expresses skepticism towards the teacher's instructions.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

Shown in attachment

The problem has been modified. All inputs and outputs are 5 gal/min. Pure water enters tank 1.

Homework Equations

System of equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Included on attachment.

Attachments

• CCI12152014.jpg
    CCI12152014.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
Tank 1 has 10 gal/min going in and only 5 gal/min coming out...it'll all end in tears (whether the briny sort or the ripping sort, only time will tell). Maybe the T1->T2 pipe should be 10 gal/min.

Joffan said:
Tank 1 has 10 gal/min going in and only 5 gal/min coming out...it'll all end in tears (whether the briny sort or the ripping sort, only time will tell). Maybe the T1->T2 pipe should be 10 gal/min.
I'm going by what the teacher says.

Judging from part E, the total volume in each tank is supposed to be constant. Neither the original data nor the modified data achieve that.
I suggest you put in unknowns for the rate of flow from outside the system into tank1 and the rate of return from tank2 to tank1. The other two flow rates can then be deduced. solve the question in terms of those unknowns. When you get the right data, you can just plug it into your equations.

shreddinglicks said:
I'm going by what the teacher says.
And if the teacher says black is white, zebras suddenly become horses.

The answer to your thread title question is "no".

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and is an essential tool in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and biology.

2. How do I know if I have set up my differential equation correctly?

There are a few key factors to consider when determining if you have set up your differential equation correctly. First, check that your equation includes a dependent variable, an independent variable, and the derivatives of the dependent variable. Additionally, make sure your equation is consistent with the physical system you are trying to model and that it follows any given initial or boundary conditions.

3. What are some common mistakes when setting up a differential equation?

Some common mistakes when setting up a differential equation include forgetting to include a constant of integration, using the incorrect number of initial or boundary conditions, and not properly considering the units of the variables in the equation. It is also important to check for any algebraic errors when rearranging the equation.

4. Can I use a computer program to check if my differential equation is correct?

Yes, there are several computer programs, such as Wolfram Alpha and MATLAB, that can help you check if your differential equation is set up correctly. These programs can also help you solve the equation and visualize the results.

5. Why is it important to make sure my differential equation is set up correctly?

A correctly set up differential equation is crucial for obtaining meaningful and accurate solutions. If the equation is incorrect, the solutions will also be incorrect, which can lead to inaccurate predictions and conclusions about the physical system being modeled. Additionally, a correctly set up differential equation allows for easier and more efficient calculations and analysis.