Did James Clerk Maxwell Ever Draw a Picture of an Electromagnetic Wave?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
RelativeQuant
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Did James Clerk Maxwell Ever Draw a Picture of an Electromagnetic Wave in any of his notebooks?

Who was the first one to draw one? Would love to find the first picture representing it all!

I am looking for the first example of a drawing looking like this showing the perpendicular sinusoidal E & M waves of a propagating photon:

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/electromagnetic/electromagneticjavafigure1.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...niv&sa=X&ei=kmdeVNJg0M-IAtrEgJAH&ved=0CDgQsAQ

Thanks!

Who was the first one to draw one? Would love to find the first picture representing it!

Or at least an early one.

:)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It was probably Heinrich Hertz in the 1880's.
 
Thanks! Does anyone else have any ideas regarding this? Thanks! :)
 
My vote is Oliver heaverstead who made vector calculus and made maxwell's laws into what they are today. But don't have proof.
 
Cool4Kat said:
Oliver heaverstead

I think you mean Oliver Heaviside.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Cool4Kat
Vanadium 50 said:
I think you mean Oliver Heaviside.
I think you are right. Sorry about that!