1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did James Clerk Maxwell Ever Draw a Picture of an Electromagnetic Wave?

1. Nov 8, 2014 #1
    Did James Clerk Maxwell Ever Draw a Picture of an Electromagnetic Wave in any of his notebooks?

Who was the first one to draw one? Would love to find the first picture representing it all!

I am looking for the first example of a drawing looking like this showing the perpendicular sinusoidal E & M waves of a propagating photon:

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/electromagnetic/electromagneticjavafigure1.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...niv&sa=X&ei=kmdeVNJg0M-IAtrEgJAH&ved=0CDgQsAQ

Thanks!

Who was the first one to draw one? Would love to find the first picture representing it!

Or at least an early one.

:)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It was probably Heinrich Hertz in the 1880's.

4. Nov 13, 2014 #3
    Thanks! Does anyone else have any ideas regarding this? Thanks! :)

5. Jan 3, 2017 #4
    My vote is Oliver heaverstead who made vector calculus and made maxwell's laws into what they are today. But don't have proof.

6. Jan 4, 2017 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think you mean Oliver Heaviside.

7. Jan 4, 2017 #6
    I think you are right. Sorry about that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted