1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

-did my professor screw up the igan vector? matrices fun weee

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone, we found 3 igan values: 1, 2, 3
    for the last case: 3

we came out with
    0 -1 0
    0 -1 0
    2 -2 -2

he wrote b = 0, a = c;
    then said igan vecotr is:

but clearly shoouldn't it be:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's hard to tell exactly what's going on from what you've posted. You can always check to see if the vector you have is an eigenvector by multiplying it by your matrix.
  4. Dec 11, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I hope, at least, that your professor can spell better than you can!

I have no idea why you mean by "b=0, a= c" since there were no "a", "b" or "c" in your original problem.

It would also help if you wrote out the original matrix which, I take it is:
    [3 -1 0]
    [0 2 0]
    [2 -2 1]

because I prefer to go back to the original matrix to find the eigen value: "Ax= 3x" with that matrix gives the three equations
    3x- y= 3x, 2y= 3y, and 2x- 2y+ z= 3z.
    Obviously, from either the first equation or the second, y= 0. Having that, the first equation becomes 3x= 3x which is true for all x and the last equation become 2x+ z= 3z or 2x= 2z so x= z. Taking x= z= 1, gives
    [1 0 1]. As much as I hate to admit it, you are right!
  5. Dec 11, 2005 #4
    SCORE! haha, 4.0 here i come. Yes i do suck at spelling in a big way, its not so much spelling, its pure laziness on my part. Thanks for the help as always, :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?