Dielectric constant of the materials, k

In summary, when a dielectric material is inserted between the plates of capacitors, the charge on the capacitor changes by 32 uC. This causes the voltage across the capacitors to be different and the dielectric constant of the material is k.
darkeng

Homework Statement

C1 = 12uF, C2=20uF, and the capacitors are charged so that the voltage across each capacitor is 6V. When a dielectric material is inserted between the plates of C1, the charge on C2 changes by 32 uC. Calculate the dielectric constant of the material, k. (PS. C1 is parallel to C2)

Homework Equations

C=q/v

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my method. 6V = (12x6+20x6+32)/(12k + 20), then solve for k, but it seems like it won't give me the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
darkeng said:

Homework Statement

C1 = 12uF, C2=20uF, and the capacitors are charged so that the voltage across each capacitor is 6V. When a dielectric material is inserted between the plates of C1, the charge on C2 changes by 32 uC. Calculate the dielectric constant of the material, k. (PS. C1 is parallel to C2)

Homework Equations

C=q/v

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my method. 6V = (12x6+20x6+32)/(12k + 20), then solve for k, but it seems like it won't give me the right answer.

Welcome to PF.

Is the voltage disconnected before the dielectric is added?

Hi LowlyPion,

The question didn't mention that but I think it's not disconnected.

Thanks

darkeng said:
Hi LowlyPion,

The question didn't mention that but I think it's not disconnected.

Thanks

Well if the Voltage is still the same across C2, and the dielectric goes only in C1, C2 is still the same ...

Q2 = C2*V

Hi LowlyPion,

oops, my bad. The voltage is disconnected...

Before the dielectric was inserted then you had a total charge on the 2 capacitors. It doesn't change that total, but it does redistribute.

(12 μf + 20 μf ) * 6 V = 192 μ C

Now you have a new capacitor that is k*12 μf and you have redistributed the charge between 20 μf and k*12 μf such that there is a transfer of 32 of the 192 μC from C1 to C2.

Before
Q1 = 72 μC
Q2 = 120 μC

after
Q1 = ?
Q2 = ?

When you determine the new C1 (+ dielectric) New/Old = k right?

so Q1 becomes 72+32 and Q2 becomes 120-32?

Then how do I find the new voltage?

darkeng said:
so Q1 becomes 72+32 and Q2 becomes 120-32?

Then how do I find the new voltage?

They didn't ask that. They want k.

Whatever the voltage

Q1/C1 = Q2/C2

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i got it now! so Q1 after = 72+32 = 104 uC and Q2 after = 120-32 = 88 uC

104/12*k = 88/20, then k=1.97?

Thanks!

darkeng said:
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i got it now! so Q1 after = 72+32 = 104 uC and Q2 after = 120-32 = 88 uC

104/12*k = 88/20, then k=1.97?

Thanks!

Eureka always sounds sweet.

Good luck.

haha, indeed! Thank you!

What is the dielectric constant, or relative permittivity, of a material?

The dielectric constant, denoted as k, is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy in an electric field relative to a vacuum. It is a dimensionless quantity and is often used to compare the insulating properties of different materials.

How is the dielectric constant of a material determined?

The dielectric constant of a material can be determined experimentally by measuring the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor filled with the material and comparing it to the capacitance of the same capacitor with a vacuum between the plates. It can also be calculated using the material's electric susceptibility and permittivity.

What factors affect the dielectric constant of a material?

The dielectric constant of a material is affected by its chemical composition, molecular structure, temperature, and frequency of the electric field. In general, materials with polar molecules or free electrons have higher dielectric constants, while nonpolar materials have lower dielectric constants.

Why is the dielectric constant important in electronic devices?

The dielectric constant plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices, particularly in capacitors. It determines the capacitance of a material and its ability to store and release electrical energy, which is essential for the operation of devices like computers, smartphones, and televisions.

Can the dielectric constant of a material be changed?

Yes, the dielectric constant of a material can be changed by applying an external electric field, changing the temperature, or altering the chemical composition of the material. This property is utilized in devices such as varactors, which have variable capacitance based on the applied voltage, to control the flow of electric current.