I got bored and did something with the dielectric constant

In summary: Since ##\left\|\mathbf{E}\right\| > \left\|\mathbf{D}\right\|##, ##K>1##. I'm trying to interpret ##K## as the projection of ##\vec E_0## onto ##\vec E## because I was kind of bored one day in physics lecture. I think I remember that ##proj_{\vec u} \vec v ≤ |1|## for some vectors ##\vec u## and ##\vec v##, which contradicts what I'm saying. Should I just go with ##K=\frac{C}{C_0}## since it's much simpler?Yes, it should be
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

I want to prove or disprove that the dielectric constant ##K## is the projection of ##\vec E_0## onto ##\vec E## using linear algebra.

Homework Equations

##\vec E = \frac{\vec E_0}{K}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##(\vec E)⋅\vec E = (\vec E)⋅\frac{\vec E_0}{K}##
##K(\vec E)⋅\vec E = (\vec E)⋅\vec E_0##
##K \left\| \vec E \right\|^2=\vec E⋅\vec E_0##
##K=\frac{\vec E⋅\vec E_0}{\left\| \vec E \right\|^2}=proj_\vec E \vec E_0##

Since ##\left\|\vec E_0\right\| > \left\|\vec E\right\|##, ##K>1##. I'm trying to interpret ##K## as the projection of ##\vec E_0## onto ##\vec E## because I was kind of bored one day in physics lecture. I think I remember that ##proj_{\vec u} \vec v ≤ |1|## for some vectors ##\vec u## and ##\vec v##, which contradicts what I'm saying. Should I just go with ##K=\frac{C}{C_0}## since it's much simpler? I think I'm reading too much into this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:
I think I'm reading too much into this...
I think so too...
Eclair_de_XII said:
##\vec E = \frac{\vec E_0}{K}##
First, what is ##E_{0}## here? I think what you meant to write is ##\mathbf{D}=K\epsilon_{0}\mathbf{E}##. Either way the projection of ##\mathbf{E}## and ##\mathbf{D}## or ##\mathbf{E_{0}}## is just
$$\text{proj}\frac{\mathbf{D}\cdot\mathbf{E}}{|\mathbf{E}|^{2}}=\frac{K\epsilon_{0} E^{2}}{E^{2}}=K\epsilon_{0}$$

It looks like you answered your own question, about proving or disproving it.

NFuller said:
Either way the projection of ##\mathbf{E}## and ##\mathbf{D}## or ##\mathbf{E_{0}}## is just

##\text{proj}\frac{\mathbf{D}\cdot\mathbf{E}}{|\mathbf{E}|^{2}}=\frac{K\epsilon_{0} E^{2}}{E^{2}}=K\epsilon_{0}##

Forgive me if I'm remembering something wrong but aren't projections usually less than or equal to 1 in magnitude? Should it not be: ##\text{proj}\frac{\mathbf{E}\cdot\mathbf{D}}{|\mathbf{E}| |\mathbf{D}|}##? Of course, though, it's meaningless anyway, and does not represent the dielectric constant.

Eclair_de_XII said:
aren't projections usually less than or equal to 1 in magnitude?
No, but my notation is messed up. It should be
$$\text{proj}_{\mathbf{E}}\mathbf{D}=\frac{\mathbf{D}\cdot\mathbf{E}}{|\mathbf{E}|^{2}}\mathbf{E}$$

1. What is the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is the ratio of the electric flux density in a vacuum to that in the material.

2. How does the dielectric constant affect electrical conductivity?

The dielectric constant indirectly affects electrical conductivity by influencing the strength of the electric field within a material. Higher dielectric constants mean stronger electric fields, which can lead to increased electrical conductivity in certain materials.

3. What factors can affect the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. It can also vary depending on the frequency of the electric field.

4. How is the dielectric constant measured?

The dielectric constant is typically measured using a device called a capacitance meter. This involves placing the material between two electrodes and measuring the capacitance, or ability to store charge, of the material. The dielectric constant can then be calculated using the measured capacitance and the geometry of the electrodes.

5. What are some practical applications of the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant has many practical applications, including in the design of electronic components, such as capacitors and insulators. It is also important in the study of materials for use in electrical insulation, as well as in the development of new technologies, such as dielectric elastomers for artificial muscles.