Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dielectric function with band theory

1. Jun 19, 2015 #1
    As far as I am concerned, dielectric function can be computed by band structure. However, band structure is a global property of solids, while dielectric function is a local property. How a local property can be computed from a global property.

Put it another way, if I want to calculate dielectric function for a specific point(for example, on the surface or deep in the bulk), how can I do it with band structure? Or there is a concept called local band structure?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2015 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

The calculation of a dielectric function for non-translationally invariant systems is very complicated as it will depend on both r and r' as ##D(r)=\int dr' \epsilon(r,r') E(r')##(dependence on omega understood) and cannot be done from a bulk band structure. For a point inside the bulk, epsilon will only depend on the distance (r-r') and this dependence decays normally rapidly to zero on a distance of the order of the atomic or lattice spacing.
    Fourier transforming gives ##\epsilon(k)## which can be calculated using the k-dependent Bloch states. The macroscopic dielectric constant which is usually reported is epsilon(k=0).

4. Jun 20, 2015 #3
    Can you provide me with some literature?

5. Jun 20, 2015 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook