Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dielectric Resonators, Resonant Frequency, and Dielectric Constant?

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I have been trying to better understand the effects of dielectrics in resonant cavities.

I read that the addition of a dielectric in a resonant cavity will reduce the resonant frequency of the cavity.

My questions:

Is there any relation to the reduction of the resonant frequency and the dielectric constant of the dielectric placed in a resonant cavity?

Would it be possible to build a small resoant cavity (less than 1 foot in volume) which had a resonant frequency in the audio range by adding a dielectric to it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, a dielectric will reduce the resonant frequency of a cavity. If the dielectric fills the cavity, then the frequency is reduced by approximately the square root of the dielectric constant.

No, you can't build a small cavity that resonates at audio because at least one dimension of the cavity must be wavelength/2. The wavelength of a 1 kHz wave is 3x10^5 m or 3,000 km--about the width of the United States. Filling it with water, which has about the highest dielectric constant (81) of any ordinary material, drops the physical dimensions by 9, to about 2,000 km. Still big compared to one foot...

4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
    i need problems and solutions about dielectric material

5. Apr 20, 2012 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please start a new thread on your topic, and provide more information--your request is very vague.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook