Diff EQ - Heating and cooling w/ fluctuating outside temp

In summary, the given problem involves a warehouse with a 5 hour time constant and fluctuating outside temperatures. Using a sine wave to represent the outside temp, an equation can be set up to determine the temp at a specific time or when it reaches a certain temperature. The equation involves a time constant of 5 and can be solved using the method of undetermined coefficients.
Indychus

Homework Statement

Say we have a warehouse with a 5 hr time constant. The outside temp is 16C at 2:00AM, and 32C at 2:00PM. The warehouse is at 24C at noon. What will the temp be at 6:00 pm? When will the temp be 27C?

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I set up a sine wave for the fluctuating outside temp. With x=0 corresponding to 2:00AM, my wave looks like

[tex]24-8\cos{\frac{2\pi}{24}[/tex]

Here's where it gets fuzzy. From a similar example in class, we set up an equation of form
[tex]e^\frac{-t}{2}\{\frac{1}{2}\int{e^\frac{t}{2}[M],dt\}+C[/tex]
where [tex]M[/tex] is our wave representing the fluctuation of outside temp. The example from class had a time constant of 2 hours, I assume that's where the t/2, -t/2, and 1/2 in the above equation come from?

If I use that equation, but substitute 5 in place of the 2's, then perform the integration, I should be able to differentiate the result and find relative extrema to determine when my temps are at max/min, correct? I should also be able to drop the C (initial temp) term since it will eventually disappear due to exponential decay anyways, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
so i would interpret the time constant as something like
[tex] \frac{dT(t)}{dt} = -5(T(t) - T_b) [/tex]

where T_b is the outside temperature, this should be no problem to inetgrat e by separation of variables

rearranging, for the variable outside temp Tb(t) gives
[tex] \frac{dT(t)}{dt} +5T(t) = 5T_b(t) = 5(24-cos(2 \pi t /24)) [/tex]

I would attempt this by trial functions using the method of undetermined coefficients
http://www.efunda.com/math/ode/linearode_undeterminedcoeff.cfm

1. What is the concept of differential equations in relation to heating and cooling with fluctuating outside temperature?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the rate of change of a system and its current state. In the context of heating and cooling with fluctuating outside temperature, differential equations can be used to model the changes in temperature over time.

2. How do differential equations explain the process of heating and cooling with fluctuating outside temperature?

Differential equations use mathematical functions to represent the changing temperatures in a system. These equations take into account factors such as the initial temperature, the outside temperature, and the rate of change of temperature over time.

3. What are some real-life applications of differential equations in heating and cooling systems?

Differential equations are commonly used in the design and analysis of heating and cooling systems, such as air conditioning units and refrigerators. They can also be applied in weather forecasting and climate modeling to predict changes in temperature.

4. How do fluctuations in outside temperature affect the heating and cooling process?

Fluctuations in outside temperature can greatly impact the heating and cooling process. When the outside temperature is higher than the desired indoor temperature, the cooling system must work harder to maintain the desired temperature. Conversely, when the outside temperature is lower than the desired indoor temperature, the heating system must work harder.

5. What are some challenges in using differential equations to model heating and cooling with fluctuating outside temperature?

One challenge is accurately representing all of the variables and factors that can affect the heating and cooling process. These can include things like humidity, insulation, and the efficiency of the heating and cooling systems. Another challenge is solving the differential equations, which can be complex and require advanced mathematical techniques.