Working with Series: Solve Bessel Function Diff. Eq.

• Thread starter king vitamin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a Calculus 2/Sequences and Series class involving the Bessel function of order 1 and its solution to a specific differential equation. The participant attempts to solve the problem by plugging in the given series and simplifying, but is advised to show that the series is exactly equal to zero instead of just converging to zero. A warmup exercise is suggested to help with this, involving noticing patterns in the terms and reindexing the sums.
king vitamin
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

First of all, I'm encountering this problem in a Calc 2/Sequences and Series class, so I havn't taken Diff. Eq's yet. Also, I've never used latex before so I'm iffy on it, but all the sigmas are from n = 0 to infinity. Here's the problem statement:

The Bessel function of order 1 is defined by

[tex]\jmath_{1}(x) = \sum \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}}{n!(n+1)!2^{2n+1}}[/tex]

Show that [tex]\jmath_{1}(x)[/tex] satisfies the differential equation

[tex]x^{2}\jmath_{1}''(x) + x\jmath_{1}'(x) + (x^{2} - 1)\jmath_{1}(x) = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

Simply differentiating [tex]\jmath_{1}(x)[/tex] twice:

[tex]\jmath_{1}'(x) = \sum \frac{(-1)^{n} (2n+1) x^{2n}}{n! (n+1)! 2^{2n+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\jmath_{1}''(x) = \sum \frac{(-1)^{n} (4n^{2}+2n) x^{2n-1}}{n! (n+1)! 2^{2n+1}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Being very unsure of where to start, I simply plugged in the series into the equation - since they all have a common denominator I figured the answer would appear.

[tex] \sum \frac{(x^{2}(-1)^{n}(4n^{2}+2n)x^{2n-1})+(x(-1)^{n}(2n+1)x^{2n})+((x^{2}-1)(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1})}{n!(n+1)!2^{2n+1}} [/tex]

Now gathering and setting aside terms of (-1)^n and x^(2n+1)

[tex] \sum \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}(4n^{2}+4n+x^{2})}{n!(n+1)!2^{2n+1}} [/tex]

Is this the correct way to approach this problem? Am I supposed to prove that this converges to 0 for all x (and how would I do that?)? Am I way off-base?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to show it converges to zero. You have to show it's EXACTLY zero, i.e. the coefficient of all powers of x are zero. Try this for a warmup. The beginning of your series is x/2-x^3/16+x^5/384-x^7/18432+... Put that into the ODE and show all terms up to x^5 cancel exactly. While you are doing that you'll want to notice that the terms you've denoted as x^(2n+1), x^(2n) and x^(2n-1) can cancel among themselves. For example for n=1, they are x^3, x^2 and x^1. For n=2, they are x^5, x^4 and x^3. The x^3 can cancel between the two different n. You'll need to reindex your sums so the power of x in each is equal.

Related to Working with Series: Solve Bessel Function Diff. Eq.

1. What is a Bessel function and how is it used in solving differential equations?

A Bessel function is a special type of mathematical function that arises in solving differential equations. It is used to describe oscillatory phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic radiation, and is commonly used in physics and engineering applications.

2. How do I solve a Bessel function differential equation?

The process of solving a Bessel function differential equation involves finding a series solution using power series methods. This involves breaking down the equation into a series of simpler equations and solving for successive terms in the series until a pattern emerges. The final solution is then expressed as a linear combination of these terms.

3. What are some real-world applications of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used in signal processing, acoustics, and optics to describe the behavior of waves. They are also used in solving problems related to heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics.

4. Can Bessel functions be solved numerically?

Yes, Bessel functions can be solved numerically using computational methods. This involves using algorithms and computer software to approximate the solution of the differential equation. Numerical solutions are often used when an analytical solution is not possible or when a high level of accuracy is required.

5. Are there any special properties of Bessel functions that make them useful in solving differential equations?

Yes, Bessel functions have several important properties that make them useful in solving differential equations. One such property is their orthogonality, which allows for the simplification of complex equations. They also have recurrence relations, which can be used to derive new equations from known solutions. Additionally, Bessel functions have a wide range of special cases and identities that can be applied in different problem-solving scenarios.