Diff. eqn + erf (error function)

• Thread starter veronik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: I'm reporting this to the mentors.And I think it best if you do the same for any complete solutions you have given here in the past. Thank you.In summary, the conversation includes a problem with two parts, the first part involving the solution of a definite integral and the second part involving the solution of a differential equation. The solution to the first part is given as f(x) = 1/2*e^x*sqrt(2pi)*(1+erf(1/4*x^2*sqrt(2))) and the second part involves finding a solution in the form y(x) = integral from 0 to x of (x-t)*f(t)dt. The conversation also includes a discussion on using the Le
veronik
[SOLVED] Diff. eqn + erf (error function)

I’m stacked with this problem for many days, someone can help me pleeeeease:

(a) [tex]f \left( x \right) =\int _{-\infty }^{{x}^{2}/2}\!{e^{x-1/2\,{t}^{2
}}}{dt}[/tex]

I foud the solution: [tex]f \left( x \right) =1/2\,{e^{x}}\sqrt {2\pi } \left( 1+{\it
erf} \left( 1/4\,{x}^{2}\sqrt {2} \right) \right) [/tex]

(b) Find the solution of the dfferential equatio:
[tex]{\frac {d^{2}}{d{x}^{2}}}y \left( x \right) =f \left( x \right) [/tex] with y(0)=0 and dy(0)/dx = 0

In the form : [tex]y \left( x \right) =\int _{0}^{x}\! \left( x-t \right) f \left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex]

Veronica

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

veronik said:
[tex]{\frac {d^{2}}{d{x}^{2}}}y \left( x \right) =f \left( x \right) [/tex] with y(0)=0 and dy(0)/dx = 0

In the form : [tex]y \left( x \right) =\int _{0}^{x}\! \left( x-t \right) f \left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex]

Veronica

Hi veronica! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(… the f in (a) isn't supposed to be the same as the f in (b), is it? …)

I suppose you know what [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int _{0}^{x}\! \left( x-t \right) f \left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex] is?

Are you sure they don't mean something like [tex]\int _{0}^{x}\! \left( x-t \right)^2 f \left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex] ?

tiny-tim said:
Hi veronica! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(… the f in (a) isn't supposed to be the same as the f in (b), is it? …)

I suppose you know what [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int _{0}^{x}\! \left( x-t \right) f \left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex] is?

Are you sure they don't mean something like [tex]\int _{0}^{x}\! \left( x-t \right)^2 f \left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex] ?

Thanks for your hospitality and your help tiny tim :wink:,
1-the f in (a) is the same as in (b)...
2-I didnt calculate it..
3-it's x-t

its' (x-t).

I'm waiting for your help :blushing:

veronik said:
3-it's x-t

No, it's not.

Try a simpler one: what is [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int _{0}^{x}\! f\left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex] ?

Hint: put f(t) = g´(t). :smile:

For (a), use the definition of the error function.

For (b), the solution is given. I'm a bit confused. What are you supposed to do?

EDIT:
You are given f(x). The information [itex]d^2y/dx^2 = f(x)[/itex] and [itex]y(0) = y'(0) = 0[/itex] are superfluous. Use the integral form.

Last edited:
I suppse ... the question is to demonstrate that the solution is in that form ( [tex]
\int _{0}^{x}\! \left( x-t \right)^2 f \left( t
\right) {dt}
[/tex] )

:rolleyes:

tiny tin: the x-t was for you question about if it was in the form (x-t)f(t) or (x-t)^2f(t)

did u found the solution?

I'm getting tired :shy:... I'm from europe, it's already 2am here!

Last edited:
So, not the same f(x), as I thought originally. Use the Leibniz integral rule.

I think that it's the same f (it was stated like that in the question!)

The given equations are valid for any reasonable f(x). You need to show this is the case.

veronik said:
did u found the solution?

I'm getting tired :shy:... I'm from europe, it's already 2am here!

Hi Veronica! :smile:

I'm from London - we're one hour behind you! :zzz:

Look, with f(t) = g´(t), [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int _{0}^{x}\! f\left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex]
[tex]=\,\frac{d}{dx}\int _{0}^{x}\! g'\left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex]
[tex]=\,\frac{d}{dx}\left[\,g\left(t)\,\right] _{0}^{x}[/tex]
[tex]=\,\frac{d}{dx}(g(x)\,-\,g(0))[/tex]
= g´(x) = f(x).

Now you try - what is [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int _{0}^{x}\! x f\left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex] ?

And then what is [tex]{\frac {d^{2}}{d{x}^{2}}}\int _{0}^{x}\! \left( x-t \right) f \left( t \right) {dt}[/tex] ? :smile:

veronik said:
I’m stacked with this problem for many days, someone can help me pleeeeease:

(a) [tex]f \left( x \right) =\int _{-\infty }^{{x}^{2}/2}\!{e^{x-1/2\,{t}^{2
}}}{dt}[/tex]

I foud the solution: [tex]f \left( x \right) =1/2\,{e^{x}}\sqrt {2\pi } \left( 1+{\it
erf} \left( 1/4\,{x}^{2}\sqrt {2} \right) \right) [/tex]

\right) {dt}[/tex]

Veronica

The first part is indeed correct.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Veronica! :smile:

I'm from London - we're one hour behind you! :zzz:

Look, with f(t) = g´(t), [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int _{0}^{x}\! f\left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex]
[tex]=\,\frac{d}{dx}\int _{0}^{x}\! g'\left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex]
[tex]=\,\frac{d}{dx}\left[\,g\left(t)\,\right] _{0}^{x}[/tex]
[tex]=\,\frac{d}{dx}(g(x)\,-\,g(0))[/tex]
= g´(x) = f(x).

Now you try - what is [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int _{0}^{x}\! x f\left( t
\right) {dt}[/tex] ?

And then what is [tex]{\frac {d^{2}}{d{x}^{2}}}\int _{0}^{x}\! \left( x-t \right) f \left( t \right) {dt}[/tex] ? :smile:

This is the way to show that the formula given is indeed the solution to the differential equation. However it does not give the derivation of the formula which (I assume) is to be found. The equation can be easily integrated to become:

[tex]y=\int \int f(x) dxdx+Ax+B[/tex]

Naming now f(x)=g'(x) and g(x)=h'(x) and applying the boundary conditions you arrive at:

[tex]y(x)=h(x)-h(0)-xg(0)[/tex]

This can be rewritten as:

[Begin Edit]
The solution has been removed.
I apologize if this caused any inconvenience, but I was under the assumption that it was not done to post the entire solution in the homework section, but is allowed for the other sections. Sorry about this. What if I was asked in a private message to give the solution?
[End Edit]

Which is the solution you are looking for. So, the boundary conditions are indeed necessary to arrive at the result.

Last edited:
Please do not give out complete solutions. In fact, please edit the solution out of that last post.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that contains derivatives of an unknown function. It is used to model relationships between a function and its derivatives in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the error function (erf)?

The error function, also known as the Gauss error function, is a special function that is commonly used in statistics and probability. It is defined as the integral of the Gaussian distribution from 0 to a given value. It is used to calculate the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range.

3. How are differential equations and the error function related?

The error function is often used in solving differential equations, particularly in boundary value problems. It is also used in expressing solutions to some types of differential equations, such as the heat equation and diffusion equation.

4. What is the significance of the error function in real-world applications?

The error function has many applications in various fields. In statistics, it is used to calculate the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range. It is also used in physics to describe the diffusion of particles, and in engineering to model the behavior of heat and mass transfer processes.

5. Are there any practical limitations to using the error function in solving differential equations?

While the error function is a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it may not be applicable to all types of differential equations. In some cases, other methods such as numerical approximations may be more suitable. Additionally, the error function may be challenging to evaluate numerically for large or complex problems.