1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffe Q, a forced harmonic oscillator

1. May 13, 2006 #1
    okay this is kind of a quick one when youre solving a forced harmonic oscillator for an initial condition by the method of undetermined coefficients, you do the part for the homogenoues equation first and come up with somethign like ke^at + ce^bt. Now when you goto solve for those constants k and c using your initial conditions do you use the general soltion form the nonhomogenous part as well? so it would either be ke^at + ce^bt = d -or- ke^at + ce^bt+re^dt = f

Thanks in advance and sorry about my rapant use of variables and poor math notation
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, of course. The initial conditions apply to the function that satisfies the entire equation. You must use that function, both "homogeneous" and "non-homogeneous" parts to satisfy the initial conditions.

For example, to solve y"+ 4y= x, y(0)= 0, y'(0)= 0.
    The associated homogeneous equation is y"+ 4y= 0 which has characteristic equation r2+ 4= 0 and so characteristic values 2i and -2i. The general solution to that homogeneous equation is
    y(x)= kcos(2x)+ c sin(2x). Now, using the method of "undetermined coefficients, we seek a particular solution to the entire equation of the form y(x)= Ax+ B. Then y'= A and y"= 0 so the equation becomes
    0+ 4(Ax+ B)= 4Ax+ 4B= x. Clearly, A= 1/4 and B= 0. The general solution to the entire equation is y(x)= kcos(2x)+ csin(2x)+ x/4. Of course, then, y'(x)= -2ksin(2x)+ 2ccos(2x)+ 1/4.

Now, we have y(0)= k= 0 and y'(0)= 2c+ 1/4= 0 so c= -1/8. The solution to the problem is y(x)= -(1/8)sin(2x)+ x/4.

Since y(x)= 0 (y identically equal to 0) satisfies any homogeneous differential equation, if we just used the homogeneous equation to satisfy these initial conditions we would have just got y(x)= 0 and so, adding the particular solution, y(x)= x/4 which does NOT satisfy
    y'(0)= 0.
  4. May 15, 2006 #3
    thanks man , haha yeah i guess it is pretty obvious looking back at it now. Thanks a bunch man
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?