Can an undamped harmonic oscillator have a steady-state solution?

In summary: Oh, yeah i got the correct answer, but i didn’t notice, thank you about that!Did you manage to show the system didn’t have a steady state solution?
Richardbryant

Homework Statement

An undamped harmonic oscillator (b=0) is subject to an applied force Focos(wt). Show that if w=wo, there is no steady- state solution. Find a particular solution by starting with a solution for w=wo+#, and passing to the limit #->0, it will blow up. Try starting with a solution which fits the initial condition xo=0, so that i cannot blow up at t=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

d^2x/dt^2+(wo^2)x=Fo cos(w+#)t/m
d^2y/dt^2+(wo^2)y=Fo sin(w+#)t/m
d^2z/dt^2+(wo^2)z=Foe^i(w+#)t/m (1)
Let Z=Ce^i(wo+#)t, plug in (1)
C=Fo/,[wo^2-(w+#)^2]

thus X= Fo cos(w+#)t/m[wo^2-(w+#)^2]
Xtr (trasient term )=Acos(wot-$) $= phase difference
After a couple of steps the final solution will blow up when limit #->0[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
With no damping and sinusoidal excitation at the undamped natural frequency, the solution grows linearly with time. This is the reason there is no steady state.

You need to obtain the characteristic equation and look at the roots. That will get you started toward the proper results.

Richardbryant said:

Homework Statement

An undamped harmonic oscillator (b=0) is subject to an applied force Focos(wt). Show that if w=wo, there is no steady- state solution. Find a particular solution by starting with a solution for w=wo+#, and passing to the limit #->0, it will blow up. Try starting with a solution which fits the initial condition xo=0, so that i cannot blow up at t=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

d^2x/dt^2+(wo^2)x=Fo cos(w+#)t/m
d^2y/dt^2+(wo^2)y=Fo sin(w+#)t/m
d^2z/dt^2+(wo^2)z=Foe^i(w+#)t/m (1)
Let Z=Ce^i(wo+#)t, plug in (1)
C=Fo/,[wo^2-(w+#)^2]
thus X= Fo cos(w+#)t/m[wo^2-(w+#)^2]
Xtr (trasient term )=Acos(wot-$) $= phase difference
After a couple of steps the final solution will blow up when limit #->0
What's your question?

Dr.D said:
With no damping and sinusoidal excitation at the undamped natural frequency, the solution grows linearly with time. This is the reason there is no steady state.

You need to obtain the characteristic equation and look at the roots. That will get you started toward the proper results.

Thanks for reply, i had been guessing the solution is also a trigonometric function , but it seems to be not working

vela said:
What's your question?

The question is to find a x(t) satisfying the given condition

Richardbryant said:
The question is to find a x(t) satisfying the given condition
Obviously, that's what the question is asking of you. What is YOUR specific question? You seem to be on the right track.

vela said:
Obviously, that's what the question is asking of you. What is YOUR specific question? You seem to be on the right track.

Oh, yeah i got the correct answer, but i didn't notice, thank you about that!

Did you manage to show the system didn’t have a steady state solution?

1. What is an undamped harmonic oscillator?

An undamped harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits simple harmonic motion without any external forces acting on it. This means that the system will oscillate back and forth indefinitely with a constant amplitude and frequency.

2. How is an undamped harmonic oscillator different from a damped harmonic oscillator?

An undamped harmonic oscillator has no external forces acting on it, while a damped harmonic oscillator experiences external forces that cause it to gradually lose energy and decrease in amplitude over time.

3. What is the equation of motion for an undamped harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for an undamped harmonic oscillator is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + ϕ), where x(t) is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and ϕ is the initial phase angle.

4. What are some real-life examples of undamped harmonic oscillators?

Some examples of undamped harmonic oscillators include a simple pendulum, a mass attached to a spring, and a swinging door.

5. How do you calculate the period and frequency of an undamped harmonic oscillator?

The period of an undamped harmonic oscillator is given by T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency. The frequency is equal to 1/T, or ω/2π.