DiffEq, Binomial Expansion and limits

In summary: I'm not sure. I think I need to find an expression that is always greater than the left side of expression 2 and less than the right side. Something like this:## \epsilon + \sqrt{x} + \sqrt{x-1} > \frac{1}{\epsilon} + \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{x-1}#### \epsilon + 2\sqrt{x} > \frac{1}{\epsilon} + 2\sqrt{x-1}##And then I could say that if ## \sqrt{x} > \frac{1}{\epsilon + 2}## and ##\sqrt{x} > \sqrt{x-1}## then both of those inequalities will hold
QuietMind

Homework Statement

Use algebra to show that U(x) = −√x − 1 and L(x) = −√x satisfy the ’funnel condition’ U(x) − L(x) → 0 as x → ∞

Homework Equations

Funnel condition: The two fences come together asymptotically, i.e. U(x) − L(x) is small for large x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the binomial expansion is appropriate here? But I am unclear if it can be used for fractions.

##U(x)-L(x) = -\sqrt{x-1} +\sqrt{x} ##
the first term can be expressed as: (hopefully did the binomial right)
## x^\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2}x^\frac{-1}{2}- \frac{1}{8}x^\frac{-3}{2}...##

so then
##-\sqrt{x-1} +\sqrt{x} = x^\frac{1}{2} -x^\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}x^\frac{-1}{2} + \frac{1}{8}x^\frac{-3}{2}... ##
the first 2 terms cancel, then the rest go to 0 as x goes to infinity. Does that look right?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuietMind said:

Homework Statement

Use algebra to show that U(x) = −√x − 1 and L(x) = −√x satisfy the ’funnel condition’ U(x) − L(x) → 0 as x → ∞

Homework Equations

Funnel condition: The two fences come together asymptotically, i.e. U(x) − L(x) is small for large x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the binomial expansion is appropriate here? But I am unclear if it can be used for fractions.

##U(x)-L(x) = -\sqrt{x-1} +\sqrt{x} ##
the first term can be expressed as: (hopefully did the binomial right)
## x^\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2}x^\frac{-1}{2}- \frac{1}{8}x^\frac{-3}{2}...##

so then
##-\sqrt{x-1} +\sqrt{x} = x^\frac{1}{2} -x^\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}x^\frac{-1}{2} + \frac{1}{8}x^\frac{-3}{2}... ##
the first 2 terms cancel, then the rest go to 0 as x goes to infinity. Does that look right?

Yes.

Likes QuietMind
QuietMind said:
8x−32...−x−1+x=x12−x12+12x−12+18x−32...-\sqrt{x-1} +\sqrt{x} = x^\frac{1}{2} -x^\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}x^\frac{-1}{2} + \frac{1}{8}x^\frac{-3}{2}...
That's a little shaky. You have an infinite sum of terms each of which tends to zero. That's not quite the same as the sum tending to zero.
Also, are you sure you are permitted to lean on the binomial expansion here?
It is quite easy, and perhaps more instructive, to get the result from a simple epsilon-delta proof. I.e. given ε > 0, find xε such that x > xε implies etc.

I have no idea what's allowed. The question just says "use algebra" so I took binomial expansion as being part of the bag of tricks. Any other ideas what "use algebra" entails?

I have very little experience with epsilon delta proofs but I looked them up and will give it a try:

Want to prove this
Expression1: ##\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty}{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{x-1}} = 0##

given ## \epsilon > 0##

I looked up the procedure for when the limit approaches infinity, and they say the first step is to work backwards from this:
Expression2: ## \epsilon > |-\sqrt{x-1} + \sqrt{x}-0| ##

, and try to express x in terms of epsilon. Is that a good first step? Here's my work:

multiplying both sides by the sum of the squareroots, and getting rid of abs values, yields
##(\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{x-1})\epsilon > 1##
##(\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{x-1}) > \frac{1}{\epsilon}##
Adding this expression to the original Expression 2 (adding the greater than side to the greater than side to preserve inequality) yields:
##\epsilon + \sqrt{x} + \sqrt{x-1} > \frac{1}{\epsilon} + \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{x-1}##

Chug through algebra to get:
Expression 3: ##x > \frac{1}{4}*(\frac{1}{\epsilon}-\epsilon)^2 + 1##

And then it tells me to start from expression 3, and re-derive expression 2 to formally constitute the proof, which I have trouble doing (the step where I add 2 inequalities together seems irreversible). Am I way off base?

QuietMind said:
I have no idea what's allowed. The question just says "use algebra" so I took binomial expansion as being part of the bag of tricks. Any other ideas what "use algebra" entails?

I have very little experience with epsilon delta proofs but I looked them up and will give it a try:

Want to prove this
Expression1: ##\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty}{\sqrt{x}-\sqrt{x-1}} = 0##

given ## \epsilon > 0##

I looked up the procedure for when the limit approaches infinity, and they say the first step is to work backwards from this:
Expression2: ## \epsilon > |-\sqrt{x-1} + \sqrt{x}-0| ##

, and try to express x in terms of epsilon. Is that a good first step? Here's my work:

multiplying both sides by the sum of the squareroots, and getting rid of abs values, yields
##(\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{x-1})\epsilon > 1##
Adding this expression to the original Expression 2 (adding the greater than side to the greater than side to preserve inequality) yields:
##\epsilon + \sqrt{x} + \sqrt{x-1} > \frac{1}{\epsilon} + \sqrt{x} - \sqrt{x-1}##

Chug through algebra to get:
Expression 3: ##x > \frac{1}{4}*(\frac{1}{\epsilon}-\epsilon)^2 + 1##

And then it tells me to start from expression 3, and re-derive expression 2 to formally constitute the proof, which I have trouble doing (the step where I add 2 inequalities together seems irreversible). Am I way off base?

You could also use the fact that ##F(x) = \sqrt{x-1} - \sqrt{x}## can be re-written as
[tex] F(x) = \frac{( \sqrt{x-1} - \sqrt{x}) ( \sqrt{x-1} + \sqrt{x})}{ \sqrt{x-1} + \sqrt{x}} = \frac{-1}{ \sqrt{x-1} + \sqrt{x}}, [/tex]
and that really is "algebra". In this last form you do not have "cancellation", so it is easier to deal with the small differences between ##\sqrt{x-1}## and ##\sqrt{x}##.

Last edited:
QuietMind said:
Down to there was fine (indeed, very good). The next step is to find a condition like "x> some function of epsilon" which ensures that statement is true. There's no need to be precious about finding the finest such condition. E.g. if √(x-1)>a, what can you say about √x in relation to a?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve more than one independent variable. Ordinary differential equations are used to describe behavior over time, while partial differential equations are used to describe behavior in multiple dimensions.

2. How is the binomial expansion used in mathematics?

The binomial expansion is used to expand a binomial expression raised to a power, such as (a + b)^n. It allows us to find the coefficients of each term in the expansion and simplify the expression.

3. What is the purpose of limits in calculus?

Limits are used to determine the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. They allow us to analyze the behavior of a function at specific points and understand its overall behavior.

4. What are the applications of differential equations in real life?

Differential equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and understand various phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

5. How is the binomial expansion related to the binomial theorem?

The binomial expansion is a specific application of the binomial theorem, which states that the coefficients of each term in the expansion can be found using combinations. The binomial theorem is a general formula that can be applied to any binomial expression raised to a power.