Difference between an Equation and an Identity?

• Thread starter preekap
  • Start date
Can u guys tell me the difference b/w an Equation and an Identity?

Thx

CompuChip

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Re: Identity

I use the terms quite sloppily myself, but it appears that an identity expresses an equality regardless of the values of any variables. So for example,
[tex]x(x - 1) = x^2 - x[/tex]
is an identity, because it is true for any values of x that you plug in. However,
[tex]x(x - 1) = 0[/tex]
is an equation, which only holds when specific values for x are plugged in (called the solutions to the equation).

matt grime

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

A more interesting identity than one which is just multiplying out a bracket would be something like

[tex] \sin^2 x + \cos^2 x \equiv 1[/tex]

Note the three lined symbol which one is supposed to use for identities, rather than the = symbol. Of course, this is something that most of us (me included) would use only if it was really necessary to clarify such a point.

^ That's odd, I've covered lots of identities and I've never once seen that in any text book (nor during the bajillion trig identities I was forced to prove in highschool.)

matt grime

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Surely it's the first one you prove/meet, and is merely Pythagoras's theorem.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

^ That's odd, I've covered lots of identities and I've never once seen that in any text book (nor during the bajillion trig identities I was forced to prove in highschool.)
It's not clear whether you are talking about CompuChip's x(x-1)= x2- x or matt grimes' sin2x+ cos2x= 1 but you will find the first in any elementary algebra text and the second in any trigonometry text.

wooosh

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I thought he was talking about the 3 line identical equal to symbol.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads