Difference between Boss seal industrial vs military fittings SAE specs

In summary, the conversation revolves around having trouble with specs in the military straight thread tube fitting chart not fitting the designated O-ring. The group is looking for an alternative reference or explanation on how the slope of the military boss seal is supposed to work. The O-ring is initially trapped in a cavity between three surfaces and seals the joint when the hex is screwed into the block. However, when subjected to internal pressure, the O-ring is pressed against the taper in the block and the flat under-surface of the hex instead of the groove machined above the male thread. The deck surface of the block is not part of the seal, but the gap between the bottom of the hex and the rough surface of the block must be small enough to prevent
legopuffer
TL;DR Summary
Issue sealing o-ring with military boss specs
Hi - attached is 3 pages from the PARKER o ring guide and I am having trouble with specs in the military straight thread tube fitting chart not fitting the designated o-ring. I can't find a different resource for something in my thread size needed - 5/8-18

Does anyone have an alternative reference, or can explain how the slope of the military boss seal is supposed to work? I have traditionally used the industrial chart and had no issues...

Attachments

• PARKER_BOSS_SEALS.pdf
    65.1 KB · Views: 75
Engineering news on Phys.org
legopuffer said:
Does anyone have an alternative reference, or can explain how the slope of the military boss seal is supposed to work?
As the hex is screwed into the block, the O-ring is pushed down the taper into the block. The O-ring seals the joint in that situation, by being initially trapped in the cavity between three surfaces.
When subjected to internal pressure, with fluid moving up the thread, the O-ring is pressed against the taper in the block and the flat under-surface of the hex. The O-ring is then no longer pressed against the groove machined above the male thread, as that is filled with fluid under pressure.

The deck surface of the block is not part of the seal, but the gap between the bottom of the hex, and the potentially rough surface of the block, must be small enough to prevent extrusion of the O-ring.

1. What are the main differences between Boss seal industrial and military fittings?

The main difference between Boss seal industrial and military fittings lies in their intended use. Boss seal industrial fittings are designed for use in industrial applications, while military fittings are specifically designed for use in military equipment and vehicles.

2. How do the SAE specs differ between Boss seal industrial and military fittings?

The SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) specifications for Boss seal industrial and military fittings are different due to their different intended uses. Industrial fittings typically have lower pressure ratings and less stringent requirements compared to military fittings, which are designed to withstand harsher conditions and higher pressures.

3. Can Boss seal industrial fittings be used in place of military fittings?

In most cases, Boss seal industrial fittings cannot be used as a direct replacement for military fittings. This is because military fittings are designed to meet specific performance and safety standards that may not be met by industrial fittings. It is important to use the correct fittings for their intended purpose to ensure safety and proper functioning.

4. Are there any similarities between Boss seal industrial and military fittings?

While there are many differences between Boss seal industrial and military fittings, there are also some similarities. Both types of fittings are designed to securely connect hoses and pipes, and they both use the Boss seal method of sealing. Additionally, they are both made from durable materials such as steel or brass to withstand high pressures and harsh environments.

5. How do I know which type of fitting to use for my application?

The best way to determine which type of fitting to use is to consult the manufacturer's specifications for your equipment or vehicle. They will typically specify which type of fitting is required for proper functioning. If you are unsure, it is always best to consult a professional or contact the manufacturer for guidance.