Difference between continuity and uniform continuity

In summary: , there exists a finite number \delta_n> 0 such that for all n>=0, if |x- a|< \delta_n then |f(x)- f(a)|<\epsilon.
Yunjia
I noticed that uniform continuity is defined regardless of the choice of the value of independent variable, reflecting a function's property on an interval. However, if on a continuous interval, the function is continuous on every point. It seems that the function on that interval must be uniformly continuous. Is this correct? Is there a counterexample for the statement?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you said is almost true. If, on a closed, bounded interval, a function is continuous at every point, then the function is uniformly continuous on that interval.

Counterexample on a non-closed interval: ##f(x) = 1/x## on the interval ##(0,1)##.

Counterexample on a closed but unbounded interval: ##f(x) = x^2## on the interval ##[0,\infty)##.

Likes Yunjia
jbunniii said:
What you said is almost true. If, on a closed, bounded interval, a function is continuous at every point, then the function is uniformly continuous on that interval.
Even more general: If a function is continuous at every point in a compact set, it is uniformly continuous on that set.
The proof is simple: Let the compact set be K and take an ε>0. Since the function is continuous at every point x in the set, there is a δx for every x∈K such that |f(w)-f(x)|<ε for every w in <x-δx, x+δx>. Let Ox=<x-δx, x+δx>, then K is contained in [itex]\bigcup_{x\in K}O_{x} [/itex]. Since K is compact, it is contained in the union of a finite number of the Ox, say [itex] \bigcup_{n=1}^{N}O_{n}[/itex]. Take δ to be the minimum of the δn and |f(w)-f(x)|<ε whenever |w-x|<δ.

Likes Yunjia
And here's the proof that a closed, bounded interval is compact, so you can apply Svein's proof.

Let ##[a,b]## be a closed, bounded interval, and let ##\mathcal{U}## be any collection of open sets which covers ##[a,b]##. Let ##S## be the set of all ##x \in [a,b]## such that ##[a,x]## can be covered by finitely many of the sets in ##\mathcal{U}##. Clearly ##a \in S##. This means that ##S## is nonempty and is bounded above (by ##b##), so it has a supremum, call it ##c##. Since ##c \in [a,b]##, it is contained in some ##U_c \in \mathcal{U}##, hence there is some interval ##(c - \epsilon, c + \epsilon)## contained in ##U_c##. Since only finitely many sets from ##\mathcal{U}## are needed to cover ##[a,c - \epsilon/2]##, those sets along with ##U_c## form a finite cover of ##[a,c+\epsilon/2]##. This shows that ##c \in S## and moreover, that ##c## cannot be less than ##b##. Therefore ##c=b##, so all of ##[a,b]## can be covered by finitely many sets in ##\mathcal{U}##.

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
And here's the proof that a closed, bounded interval is compact, so you can apply Svein's proof.
Excellent! And, of course, since one closed and bounded interval is compact, the union of a finite number of closed and bounded intervals is again compact.

Svein said:
Even more general: If a function is continuous at every point in a compact set, it is uniformly continuous on that set.
The proof is simple: Let the compact set be K and take an ε>0. Since the function is continuous at every point x in the set, there is a δx for every x∈K such that |f(w)-f(x)|<ε for every w in <x-δx, x+δx>. Let Ox=<x-δx, x+δx>, then K is contained in [itex]\bigcup_{x\in K}O_{x} [/itex]. Since K is compact, it is contained in the union of a finite number of the Ox, say [itex] \bigcup_{n=1}^{N}O_{n}[/itex]. Take δ to be the minimum of the δn and |f(w)-f(x)|<ε whenever |w-x|<δ.
I don't think this will work if ##w## and ##x## are not contained in the same ##O_n##. I think you need to take ##O_x = (x - \delta_x/2, x + \delta_x/2)## and ##\delta## to be ##\min\{\delta_n/2\}## in order to ensure that ##|w-x| < \delta## implies ##|f(w) - f(x)| < \epsilon##.

jbunniii said:
I don't think this will work if ww and xx are not contained in the same OnO_n. I think you need to take Ox=(xδx/2,x+δx/2)O_x = (x - \delta_x/2, x + \delta_x/2) and δ\delta to be min{δn/2}\min\{\delta_n/2\} in order to ensure that |wx|<δ|w-x| < \delta implies |f(w)−f(x)|<ϵ|f(w) - f(x)| < \epsilon.
Possibly. I need to think about that. The crux of the matter is that there is a finite number of intervals that cover K, which means that the minimum of the (finite number of) δ's exist and is greater than 0.

Here is the fundamental difference between "continuous" and "uniformly continuous":

A function is said to be continuous at a point, x= a, if and only if, given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- f(a)|<\epsilon[/itex].

A function is said to be continuous on a set, A, if and only if, given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- f(a)|<\epsilon[/itex] for all a in set A.

That is, a function is uniformly continuous on a set A if and only if it is continuous at every point in A and, given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] the same [itex]\delta[/itex] can be used for ever point in A.

Likes Yunjia
jbunniii said:
I don't think this will work if ww and xx are not contained in the same OnO_n. I think you need to take Ox=(xδx/2,x+δx/2)O_x = (x - \delta_x/2, x + \delta_x/2) and δ\delta to be min{δn/2}\min\{\delta_n/2\} in order to ensure that |wx|<δ|w-x| < \delta implies |f(w)−f(x)|<ϵ|f(w) - f(x)| < \epsilon.
Agree. I was sloppy and overlooked the simple fact that that the length of the interval Ox is 2⋅δx.

HallsofIvy said:
Here is the fundamental difference between "continuous" and "uniformly continuous":

A function is said to be continuous at a point, x= a, if and only if, given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- f(a)|<\epsilon[/itex].

A function is said to be continuous on a set, A, if and only if, given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- f(a)|<\epsilon[/itex] for all a in set A.

That is, a function is uniformly continuous on a set A if and only if it is continuous at every point in A and, given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] the same [itex]\delta[/itex] can be used for ever point in A.

The defition of uniformly continuous is perplexing for me. Is it possible for you to illustrate it with a proof about a function which is not uniformly continuous but continuous on a set so that I can compare the two? Thank you.

Yunjia said:
The defition of uniformly continuous is perplexing for me. Is it possible for you to illustrate it with a proof about a function which is not uniformly continuous but continuous on a set so that I can compare the two? Thank you.
OK. Take the function [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x} [/itex] on the open interval <0, 1>. It is continuous (and even differentiable) on that interval, but not uniformly continuous.

jbunniii said:
I don't think this will work if ##w## and ##x## are not contained in the same ##O_n##. I think you need to take ##O_x = (x - \delta_x/2, x + \delta_x/2)## and ##\delta## to be ##\min\{\delta_n/2\}## in order to ensure that ##|w-x| < \delta## implies ##|f(w) - f(x)| < \epsilon##.
After using pencil an paper for a bit, I came to the conclusion that I should have used ε/2 and δ/2. But - I recall a proof in "Complex analysis in several variables" that ended up in "... less than 10000ε, which is small when ε is small".

Yunjia said:
First note an important point about "uniform continuity" and "continuity" you may have overlooked: we define "continuous" at a single point and then say that a function is "continuous on set A" if and only if it is continuous at every point on A. We define "uniformly continuous" only on a set, not at a single points of a set.

A function is uniformly continuous on any closed set on which it is continuous and so on any set contained in a closed set on which it is continuous.
To give an example of a function that is continuous but not uniformly continuous, we need to look at f(x)= 1/x on the set (0, 1).

To show that it is continuous on (0, 1), let a be a point in (0, 1) and look at [itex]|f(x)- f(a)|= |1/x- 1/a|= |a/ax- x/ax|= |(a- x)/ax|= |x- a|/ax< \epsilon[/itex].
We need to find a number, [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]|x- a|< \delta[/itex], then [itex]|f(x)- f(a)|> \epsilon[/itex]. We already have [itex]|x- a| ax\epsilon[/itex] so we need an upper bound on ax. If we start by requiring that [itex]\delta< a/2[/itex] then [itex]|x- a|< \delta< a/2[/itex] so that [itex]-a/2< x- a< a/2[itex] or [itex]a/2< x< 3a/2[/itex] so an upper bound on ax is [itex]3a^2/2[/itex]. If [itex]|x- a|< a/2[/itex] and [itex]|x- a|< 3a/2[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)- f(a)|< |x- a|/ax< |x- a|/(3a^2/2)= 2|x- a|/3a^2[/itex] which will be less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] as long as [itex]|x- a|< 3a^2\epsilon/2[/itex]

So we can take [itex]\delta[/itex] to be the smaller of [itex]a/2[/itex] and [itex]3a^2/\epsilon[/itex]. Therefore, 1/x is continuous at any point a in (0, 1) so continuous on (0, 1).

Now the point is that this [itex]\delta[/itex] depends on a. It is a decreasing function of a and will go to 0 as a goes to 0. That's fine for "continuity" but for uniform continuity we must be able to use the same [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] for a given [itex]\epsilon[/itex] no matter what the "a" is and we cannot do that. If the problem were to prove uniform continuity on the set [p, 1), which is contained in the closed set [p, 1], we could use, for any a in that set, the [itex]\delta[/itex] that we get for a= p, the smallest x value in the set. But with (0, 1), the smallest [itex]\delta[/itex] is 0 which we cannot use since we must have [itex]\delta> 0[/itex].

1. What is the difference between continuity and uniform continuity?

Continuity and uniform continuity are both concepts used to describe the behavior of functions. Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, while uniform continuity refers to the behavior of a function across its entire domain.

2. How are continuity and uniform continuity related?

Continuity is a necessary condition for uniform continuity. This means that if a function is uniformly continuous, it must also be continuous. However, a function can be continuous without being uniformly continuous.

3. Can you give an example of a function that is continuous but not uniformly continuous?

Yes, the function f(x) = 1/x is continuous on its entire domain, but it is not uniformly continuous. This can be seen by considering the behavior of the function near x = 0, where the function becomes increasingly steep and the distance between points on the graph becomes larger.

4. How is uniform continuity defined mathematically?

A function f(x) is uniformly continuous on a given interval if for any ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that for all x and y in the interval, if |x - y| < δ, then |f(x) - f(y)| < ε. In other words, the distance between the output of the function at any two points on the interval can be made arbitrarily small by choosing a small enough interval around those points.

5. Why is uniform continuity important in mathematics and science?

Uniform continuity is important because it guarantees that a function will behave in a predictable and consistent manner across its entire domain. This allows for more accurate and reliable mathematical models and can help to make predictions about the behavior of physical systems. Additionally, many important theorems in analysis and calculus rely on the concept of uniform continuity.