Difference between density and unit weight with same units

In summary, density and unit weight are often used interchangeably but there is a difference in their definitions based on the system of measurement being used. In the United States, they are usually defined as weight per unit volume, while in the SI system, they are expressed as mass per unit volume. In the case of concrete, the density and unit weight values may differ due to the presence of voids. However, there may also be different terms used for the same material, such as "dry unit weight" for density with voids included.
Typhon4ever
In my lectures and notes my professor keeps writing out density as lbs/ft3 and unit weight as lbs/ft3. For a material such as concrete it could have a density of 167 lbs/ft3 but a unit weight of 103 lbs/ft3. I am confused as to how these two values are different even though they have the exact same units.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why there should be a difference. In the United States, density is typically defined as weight per unit volume, and this is the same as unit weight (about 150 pounds per cubic foot for concrete). In the SI system of measure, density is expressed in mass per unit volume, whereas unit weight is expressed in weight per unit volume,so there is a difference on that system of measure. In any case, the 103 pounds per cu ft value for the unit weight of standard concrete is not correct. However , if the concrete is submerged under water, then the buoyant or apparent density is about 100 pounds per cubic ft or in that ballpark , so maybe that's what prof was talking about?

PhanthomJay said:
I don't understand why there should be a difference. In the United States, density is typically defined as weight per unit volume, and this is the same as unit weight (about 150 pounds per cubic foot for concrete). In the SI system of measure, density is expressed in mass per unit volume, whereas unit weight is expressed in weight per unit volume,so there is a difference on that system of measure. In any case, the 103 pounds per cu ft value for the unit weight of standard concrete is not correct. However , if the concrete is submerged under water, then the buoyant or apparent density is about 100 pounds per cubic ft or in that ballpark , so maybe that's what prof was talking about?

Ah sorry, those values refer to a coarse aggregate not conrete. The aggregate has a density of 167 and a unit weight of 103 with the same exact units. I guess the question is the same though, in my notes, the lectures, and my laboratory hands outs the density and unit weights are always different despite having the same units.

Could density be referring to the material itself, while unit weight includes the empty space?

Likes PhanthomJay and jbriggs444
Likes PhanthomJay

1. What is the difference between density and unit weight?

Density is the measure of how much mass is contained within a given volume of a substance. It is expressed in units of mass per unit volume, such as kilograms per cubic meter. Unit weight, on the other hand, is the measure of the force exerted by gravity on a unit volume of a substance. It is expressed in units of force per unit volume, such as newtons per cubic meter.

2. Do density and unit weight have the same units?

Yes, density and unit weight can have the same units, such as kilograms per cubic meter or pounds per cubic foot. However, it is important to note that they are two different measurements with different meanings and should not be used interchangeably.

3. How are density and unit weight related?

Density and unit weight are related by the gravitational acceleration, which is a constant value of approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth. The unit weight of a substance can be calculated by multiplying its density by the gravitational acceleration.

4. Why is it important to understand the difference between density and unit weight?

Understanding the difference between density and unit weight is important in many scientific fields, such as engineering, geology, and chemistry. Using the correct measurement is crucial for accurate calculations and analysis. Mistaking density for unit weight or vice versa can lead to errors and incorrect conclusions.

5. Can density and unit weight be used interchangeably in calculations?

No, density and unit weight should not be used interchangeably in calculations. While they may have the same units, they represent different measurements and using them interchangeably can result in incorrect values and conclusions.