DIFFERENCE BETWEEN lbf & LBS

• Thread starter bennychris2002
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the difference between lbf and LBS is that lbf stands for Pounds Force and is used in the US, while LBS stands for Pounds Mass and is used in England. The relationship between them is that 1 lbf is equal to 1 pound of force. To convert from pounds to Newtons, the equation for force must be used, which involves mass and acceleration. 1 Newton is defined as the force required to accelerate 1 kilogram of mass at a rate of 1 meter per second squared. So, the exact value for 1 lbs in Newtons would depend on the mass and acceleration involved in the specific scenario. The force applied by 1 lb is not always 1lbf
bennychris2002
whats the difeerence between these two units lbf & LBS

1lbs= ? NEWTON

1lbf = ? Newton

can anyone help me...

Physics news on Phys.org
It comes down to the way a force is measured.

What do the units lbs and lbf mean in english.

i know lbf means pound force... but what does lbs mean is it poundal...

oooppps - I was using English definitions not American so got a tourque in there

LBS is the abbreviation for Pounds Mass. (Eng)

LBF is the abbreviation for Pounds Force. (US)

So what can you say is the relationship between them?

The problem asks for a relationship between "pounds" and "Newtons". Since the Newton IS a unit of force, they can only mean "pounds" as a unit of force: LBF.

ok i have a drawing in which it says force LBS pull... so i need to convert that lbs to Newton... so can anyone say...

1lbs = how many Newton

What is the equation for Force?

What is the Mass and what is the acceleration?

What is the definition for 1 Newton? A Mass , An Acceleration

Is the force applied by 1 lb always 1lbf?

i want to know the exact value

1lbs = _ N

What is the difference between lbf and lbs?

Lbf and lbs are both units of measurement for force and weight, respectively. However, they are not interchangeable and represent different quantities.

Which one is a unit of force and which one is a unit of weight?

Lbf is a unit of force, while lbs is a unit of weight. This means that lbf measures the push or pull of an object, while lbs measures the gravitational force acting on an object.

How are lbf and lbs related?

Both lbf and lbs are derived from the Imperial system of units, but they represent different measurements. Lbf is derived from the pound mass (lbm), which is a unit of mass, while lbs is derived from the pound force (lbf), which is a unit of force.

Can lbf and lbs be used interchangeably?

No, lbf and lbs cannot be used interchangeably. Lbf is a unit of force, while lbs is a unit of weight. This means that they represent different physical quantities and cannot be directly converted into one another.

Are there any other units of measurement for force and weight?

Yes, there are other units of measurement for force and weight, such as newtons (N) and kilograms (kg). These units belong to the metric system of units and are often used in scientific contexts.