Difference Between lim(n->inf.) n and Infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of 0 × lim(n→∞) n and the ambiguity in taking the limit first or rewriting it as lim(n→∞) 0n. It is noted that the grouping of the expression is significant and can change the meaning of the expression. The concept of indeterminate forms is also mentioned, and it is emphasized that the equality lim(kx)=k*lim(x) only holds if lim(x) exists.
Acala
Let's consider this problem: 0 × lim(n→∞) n

If the limit were evaluated first, it would be 0 × ∞ = undefined.
If the limit were rewritten as lim(n→∞) 0n, it would be lim(n→∞) 0 = 0.

I cannot tell which is the correct interpretation. It seems that if we consider n to be a finite and growing value, approaching a limit, it will always equal zero. But if we consider it to be the limit itself, it seems to be undefined.

Which is the correct interpretation? I feel as though this is a fundamental characteristic of limits that I am not understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
The limit as n increases without bound of n diverges. That is, it does not converge to a real number, so we cannot multiply it by 0 the way we multiply real numbers by 0. When we write that the limit is ∞, we do not mean that the limit converges to a real number that we can use in operations. ∞ is a way of talking about a specific kind of divergent limiting behavior, since there are several important types.
Thus, the first expression is an indeterminate form. We can determine it by putting the constant back into the limit: the limit as n approaches infinity of the term 0*n is 0, since 0*n = 0 for all values of n. This expression is only related to the previous expression by the fact that we can factor out 0 to get an indeterminate form. Forms are indeterminate because they may converge to more than one limit, depending on the precise expressions involved.
Ie., the form 0x∞ cannot simply be said to be 0, because the original form might be the limit as n approaches 0 of n*1/n. This gives the indeterminate form 0x∞, but it is not 0, the limit is 1. Each case of an indeterminate form must be dealt with separately.

Last edited:
Acala said:
Let's consider this problem: 0 × lim(n→∞) n

If the limit were evaluated first, it would be 0 × ∞ = undefined.
If the limit were rewritten as lim(n→∞) 0n, it would be lim(n→∞) 0 = 0.

Correct. But the way you've written it, there is only ONE interpretation, namely to take the limit first.

If you wrote

$$\lim_{n\to\infty}(0 * n)$$

then you would evaluate the expression in parens first, and you'd note that for all n, 0 * n = 0, so the limit is 0.

So yes, the grouping is significant. But what you originally wrote was NOT ambiguous ... the limit is applied only to n, so you end up with 0 * ∞, an indeterminate form.

Another way to say the same thing is that in your example, the limit is applied to n; and in the example I wrote, the limit applies to 0 * n. So it's like anything else in symbolic math ... the meaning of an expression is a function of the specific string of symbols. Write it a different way, and you change the meaning.

Last edited:
I think I see what you mean, slider. Thanks.

SteveL27 said:
Another way to say the same thing is that in your example, the limit is applied to n; and in the example I wrote, the limit applies to 0 * n. So it's like anything else in symbolic math ... the meaning of an expression is a function of the specific string of symbols. Write it a different way, and you change the meaning.

I was under the impression that lim (kx) = k lim (x), which would make my two equations equivalent. Is this not the case, and I am just thinking of most other operations in calculus that I've learned?

The equality lim(kx)=k*lim(x) if and only holds if lim(x) exists (that is, it is some finite real number). That is not the case in your example.

A. Bahat said:
The equality lim(kx)=k*lim(x) if and only holds if lim(x) exists (that is, it is some finite real number). That is not the case in your example.

Ah, I see! Thank you for this!

1. What is the difference between lim(n->inf.) n and Infinity?

The difference between lim(n->inf.) n and Infinity is that the former is a mathematical notation representing the limit of a function as the variable (n) approaches infinity, while the latter is a concept representing an infinitely large number that cannot be reached or calculated.

2. Is there a numerical difference between lim(n->inf.) n and Infinity?

No, there is no numerical difference between lim(n->inf.) n and Infinity. Both represent an infinitely large value, but the former is a mathematical notation used to represent a concept, while the latter is a concept itself.

3. Can lim(n->inf.) n be equal to Infinity?

No, lim(n->inf.) n cannot be equal to Infinity. The limit of a function as the variable approaches infinity may approach infinity, but it cannot be equal to it because infinity is not a definite number that can be reached.

4. How is lim(n->inf.) n different from lim(n->c) f(x)?

The difference between lim(n->inf.) n and lim(n->c) f(x) is that the former represents the limit of a function as the variable approaches infinity, while the latter represents the limit of a function as the variable approaches a specific value (c).

5. Can lim(n->inf.) n be used to solve infinite series?

Yes, lim(n->inf.) n can be used to solve infinite series by finding the limit of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity. This is known as the limit of a sequence, which is closely related to the limit of a function as the variable approaches infinity.